Garlic flavoured capsicum fry
Capsicum fry is one of my favourite vegetarian fry, as when it is cooked, it is like meaty and delicious, as I keep big chunky pieces. In this dish I have used only 2 ingredients other than oil and salt, it is simple and easy to cook. In this I have used dry coconut, which is grounded to a coarse powder with garlic cloves. The ground coconut and garlic mixture stays in fridge for more than 1week as salt is added in it and it is dry coconut. Capsicum is known as bell pepper or shimla mirch. During my childhood, my mom cooks this dish when capsicum is in season, she use to stir fry (poriyal) and it is served with rice and dal. This capsicum fry is full of garlic flavour as I have added chopped garlic also. We call it at home as bade mirchi (big chillies) fry. Capsicum is not at all spicy; it has a sweet taste and meaty texture when eaten. If in season, I try to get small ones and just cut it into half and fry as it is.
- Olive oil – 3 tbsp
- Capsicum (big) – 4
- Garlic cloves (thick) – 2
- Salt as per taste
- Garlic cloves (big, chopped) – 3
- Dry coconut – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Salt as per requirement
- Cut capsicum in to 4 cuts or quarter cut, if capsicum is small then cut into half or can cut as per your choice.
- Preheat the kadai with oil, when hot add capsicum pieces and sauté till golden brown colour comes on it.
- Both the sides of capsicum should be sauted well.
- Add chopped garlic and stir well, close the lid and cook for 7 to 10 mins, in between stir it.
- Capsicum starts leaving water, no need to add water.
- Cook the capsicum till it is soft, roasted well and good roasting colour comes on both sides, as per your taste.
- Add ground coarse coconut and garlic mixture and mix well. Then add salt, simmer and cook for 5 mins with the lid closed.
- Add salt carefully as already some salt is in the coconut mixture.
- Serve with plain rice and any dal (spinach or fenugreek dal or green chillies or tomato dal).
- Capsicum gets cooked fast, the consistency of roasting depends on you when to switch it off.
- Can add chilli powder 1/2 tsp for more taste and spicy.
- Can use fresh coconut instead of dry coconut, it has different taste.
- Can use vegetable or sunflower oil which I use often.
- Can reduce garlic cloves as per your taste.