Malai murg tikka (chicken cream tikka)
Chicken tikka is a very popular dish all over India and other countries. It is eaten as a starter or with the main meal. Chicken tikkas can be served as a wrapper also, wrapped in naans or tortillas with chilli sauce or mayonnaise and salad. There are varieties of tikka made like the chicken tikka marinated with red marinate (normal one), hara chicken tikka and many more. One among those tikkas is malai murg tikka which is flavoured with cardamom powder and saffron (kesar). The unusual thing is cheese,I have used mozzarella, and you can use cheddar cheese .malai chicken tikka is very delicious and it is coated with 2 marinates, one is with cream marinate and the other with egg and mozzarella coating. This marinate you can use it for the barbeque also. I have used single cream; you can use any cream which is available to you. When the chicken is cooked with the first marinate, you can serve it like that itself, even it tastes delicious. It is not spicy.
- Oil – as required for frying
- Chicken (boneless) – 280 gms
- Single cream – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Green cardamom – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder – a pinch
- Garlic cloves (paste) – 3
- Salt – as required
- Saffron (optional) – a pinch
- Egg – 1
- Mozzarella (cheese, grated) – 3 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (with stalks) – 2 tbsp
- Green chillies (chopped) – 1
- Salt – as per taste
- Cut chicken into medium size chunks.
- First mix all the ingredients in a bowl with salt, then add the chicken pieces and mix well with all the spices and refrigerate it for more than 1hr.
- After few hrs take the chicken pieces from the fridge and skewew it, I have used wooden skewers. (Before skewing I have soaked it in the water, to prevent burning).
- For the coating, take a plate add egg, coriander leaves, salt, green chillies, mix well.
- With a fork whisk (mix) it properly and keep it aside.
- Preheat the grill pan, add few tsp of oil or grease it with oil, when it is hot, place the chicken skewers one by one on the grill.
- Sizzling sound comes when you place the chicken skewers on the grill.
- First cook for 2min on medium heat, then drizzle 1tsp oil on the skewers and then turn it.
- Cook evenly on all sides, in between drizzle the oil, so that the marinate is not stick to the grill pan.
- Turn the pieces after 2-3min only, and then only good colour comes on the chicken pieces.
- It will take 12 to 15min, on medium heat.
- Now take the pieces and place it on the plate and coat it with the egg mixture all over the chicken pieces.
- You can apply it with your fingers or with a brush.
- Drizzle some oil or grease the grill, then place the chicken skewers and cook it.
- Cook on each side 1 to 2min, on medium flame, then turn it and cook.
- See that the chicken pieces are cooked well on both sides.
- Serve this as starter with any sauce or with any meal.
- The timings for the chicken depend on the size of the pieces.
- If you want can put a pinch of cardamom powder in the egg mixture.
- Turn the skewers carefully, while cooking on the grill.
- Drizzle the oil means just 1tsp to 2tsp only, if needed.
- I have skewed the chicken pieces close to each other not giving gap but some space.
- Instead of mozzarella can use cheddar cheese.