Thrissur fish curry
Once my friend made fish curry, which was sour and spicy but it gave me new taste. i liked it very much and took the recipe from her. the different taste was because of kudampuli, it is a Kerelan dish, from middle part of Kerala .each region has its own curry and different. This is very easy to make and no hard work is required. Kudampuli has a very different taste, it is sour like tamarind but has a different flavour and taste. this curry is cooked in thin coconut milk then again thick coconut milk is added to make a gravy type or curry. i have added spices according to my taste, you can alter. as every one has there own taste, some like spicy and some may not. Some may like sour and some may not. Use Kashmir chilli powder , as it gives you a very good colour. I have used both sea bass and koduva fish(in tamil), both gave the curry a good taste, you can use any fish you like king fish, karimeen (pearl fish). Fish is an integral part of kerela, so you can find many varities of curries with fish and other than kudumpali in kerelan houses, no body uses other sour ingredient like tamarind , but very rare used for some other recipes for fish kudumpali.
- Fish (Seabass) – 500 gms
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Ginger – 2 1/2 tsp (chopped or crushed well)
- Green chillies (slit) – 4 to 5
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
- Kokum – 4
- Chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup + water 1/2 cup (to thin the milk)
- Again coconut milk – 1/2 cup + water 1/3 cup (for 2nd stage of making gravy)/li>
- Onions (shallots) – 10 to 12 (80 to 100 gms)
- Curry leaves – 15
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 4 tsp
- first marinate the fish chilli powder 1tsp,1/4tsp turmeric powder and keep it aside. Slice the shallots and keep it aside. Soak kokum(kodumpuli ) in hot water for 30min and keep it aside.
- take a wider vessel, so that it will be easy to cook fish ,now add all ingredients one by one to the fish and also coconut milk(thin milk) ,with spices, ginger and green chillies and also kokum and its water1cup,if you want or just plain water 11/2 cup.
- mix all, then add fish pieces and cook it ,by closing the lid.
- after 15 min , add again (thick) coconut milk and water 1/3rd, if required to make a good consistency of gravy and cook it by closing the lid till all spices are cooked well. cook it for 10min.
- when the fish is cooked and sauce is cooked well, it has left little oil on top and a good consistency of gravy is formed(lightly thick gravy)then do seasoning and add to it.
- seasoning: take a small pan, add oil ,when it gets warm add methi seeds, onions and stir well till it is soft and brown ,then add curry leaves, after 1min,add chilli powder and stir it soon. Immediately add this to curry and close the lid and shake the vessel in a circular position , so that it is mixed well. Do not mix it with a spoon .simmer 10min and switch it off. let it rest for sometime .you can see that ,the curry has left oil on top and a good reddish colour has come.
- whenever fish is cooked do not use spoon to mix ,shake the vessel lightly in a circular position.
- serve it with plain rice.
- I have used coconut milk(tin),can use milk powder also, make coconut milk according to the instructions. I made the curry with both tin one and powder one.
- The gravy is sour and spicy, as new tastes is there because of kudampuli.
- The gravy consistency depends on you, how thick and thin you want. I have added water when thick milk is added as, I need more gravy. If you check my photos, one curry will be more and the other one is thick and little. Do not go according to the timings as, it can differ also.
- Can add more coconut milk according to your taste.
- Can reduce chilli powder, according to your taste.
- You can cook this with prawns also, but add it in the middle of curry.
- Instead of kudampali , add raw( chopped) mango of medium size according to your taste for sourness with same spices and method, it will give you different taste.
- Shallots if you want more can increase it.