Dry anchovies fish and egg curry
Dry fish curry, is made in south part of India, where fish is available in abundance and near the coastal area where people eat lot of sea food. If you go near the beaches, sometimes can see dry fishes, where fishermen have put there nets or fresh fish to dry on the hot sand. Each dry fish has its own taste like dry king fish (vangaram in tamil) can be fried or cooked like semi gravy with brinjal or can make khar(onion and green chillies mixture), while with ribbon fish(vallai meen in tamil) also can be done as the same with king fish , but taste and flavour differs. For dry fish curry, we call it as sukhi macchi ka saalan. I have used dry anchovies (nathli in tamil), can discard the head if you want. With dry fish, can make simple curry or can add vegetables like brinjal or can fry it also. This time I have added eggs and this curry is semi gravy that is little curry will be attached to the eggs. This goes well with simple tomato dal and plain rice.
- Dry fish (anchovies) – 100 gms
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Onion (chopped) – 2
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1/3 cup
- Wash the dry fish well to remove the sand and dirt.
- Soak in water for 30minutes before cooking, it will become soft.
- Preheat the vessel with oil, when hot add onion, sauté till soft and transparent.
- Add chilli powder and turmeric powder sauté for 30sec.
- Add 1/2cup water, close the lid and cook till all the water are absorbed and the spices are cooked well. Smash with the spoon the onion mixture, mix well.
- Add dry fish pieces and 1/2cup water again for the gravy.
- Close the lid and cook on medium flame for 3to 4min, till the water is reduced, then reduce the flame to simmer and form thick gravy consistency.
- Can see that the curry has left oil, add boiled eggs and coriander leaves, mix well and simmer for 5min, by closing the lid.
- In the end garnish with coriander leaves and serve with plain rice and any Dal.
- Can add coriander powder 1tsp by reducing chilli powder to 1tsp and slit green chillies.
- If it becomes dry can add little water and cook for the gravy.