Tawa murg kebab
This chicken kebab is easy to make and you can have as a snack or starter. I have made it in the shapes of sheekh or seek kebab. It is flavoured with whole spices and other simple ingredients. This chicken kebab can be made on the grill or tava or pan. You can use ghee or oil to fry. I have used sunflower oil, you can use vegetable oil. There is one whole spice where there is always a confusion, that is cassia buds or kebab chini or nagkeshar(nag kesar), as they look alike and only small difference is in between them. As some say nag kesar is in Hindi and in English it is cassia buds and others cassia bud is also known as kebab chini but some say they are both same spice. This tava murg kebab is full of flavoured whole spices .But after research kebab chini and nag kesar are different spices. you can prepare like mini sheikh or seek kebab or mini sausage shapes.
- Chicken (boneless) – 300 gms
- Black cumin seeds (shah jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 1 (1/2 inch)
- Cassia buds (nagkeshar) – 3
- Green cardamom – 2
- Salt – as per taste
- Green chilli (chopped) – 1 or 1 tsp
- Onion – 30 gms
- Egg – 1
- Bread (sliced) – 1
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1/3 cup
- Onion slices or rings
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Oil – for frying
- Chop all the vegetables finely.
- Grind all the whole spices like cassia buds, cloves, cinnamon stick, green cardamom to a powder, then add the bread pieces, grind it with the spices to form like bread crumbs.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the boneless chicken to the mixer or food processor, ground to a fine paste, transfer to the same spice bowl.
- Mix all other ingredients, onion, green chilli, egg, salt as per taste, coriander leaves.
- Refrigerate for 30min or more.
- Take a bowl of water and apply on your both hands.
- Now take some mixture of egg size, and roll in your hand to give shape of sheikh kebab or cylinder shape.
- Or take any spoon, with the back side, just roll the chicken mixture on it, dip you hand in water and do it, as the chicken mixture will not stick to your hands.
- Place the tava or pan to preheat, add 2tbsp oil, when hot, place the chicken kebabs one by one and fry on all sides evenly until it is golden brown on medium heat and cooked well.
- Drizzle some oil in between and cook evenly all sides on medium heat. Cook all the kebabs in batches.
- It will take 12 to 15 min.
- If you want, you can fry onion rings and capsicum rings till golden colour on the same tava/pan, to absorb the flavour of fried chicken kebab.
- While serving, first arrange onion rings and capsicum, then place chicken kebab.
- Serve hot with any sauce and a drizzle of lemon juice on chicken and onion rings.
- You can use chicken mince instead of the boneless chicken.
- You can give any shapes to the chicken kebab.
- With the same ingredients, you can prepare for beef or lamb/mutton.