Potato masala for dosa
This potato masala is specially made for dosa and puri. In south if you visit any restaurant, if you are asking for masala dosa or puri, then this potato masala is served. For dosa the potata masala should be little dry and for puri like curry type, gravy should be there. When I make this potato masala, I just don’t use it for dosa but also make bonda (fritter type stuffed with potato masala , a south Indian snack) , which is usually served in the evening in tea shops or in the resturants. It will be like vada which is served with pav , I mean vada pav , in chat shops, it is famous in mumbai and other places also especially in chat places you will get it. With this potato masala , you can make samosas also and can make stuffed chilli bhajji also.
- Boiled potatoes – 2
- Oil – 4tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 3/4th tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2tsp (optional)
- Chana dal – 1tbsp
- Curry leaves -15
- Dry chillies – 3
- Onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- Green chillies – 3(chopped)
- Turmeric powder – 1/2tsp to 3/4th tsp
- Water – 1cup
- Salt a per taste
- Coriander leaves – few or 2tbsp
- Boil the potatoes and keep it aside to cool.
- Smash the potatoes roughly and keep it aside.
- Now preheat the vessel, add oil, when it gets warm add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, dry chillies, curry leaves, it starts spluttering.
- After few seconds, add onion and fry it till it is lightly golden brown and transparent.
- Now add turmeric powder and roast for few seconds then add water and green chillies and cook for 5 min by closing the lid and then simmer it for 5min.
- If you want can add the green chillies, when the onions are added.
- Cook till all the ingredients are cooked well in the liquid.
- And there should be enough liquid to mix the potato but not more or very dry type, moisture should be there in potato.
- When the water is reduced to half the quantity and the green chillies and other ingredients are cooked well, add mashed potato and salt, mix well.
- After mixing the mashed potato well, close the lid and simmer it for 5 to 8min, so that all the liquid is absorbed by the potato well. Switch it off and let it rest for 5min.
- At last garnish with coriander leaves and mix it.
- Serve it with masala dosa , puri , chapathi or rice.
- In this potato masala , I have added water , so that all the ingredients are well blended and its flavour is absorbed well in the liquid , so that when potato is added , it is easily mixed and can absorb all the flavoured liquid . I often do this method for my dosa.
- If you do not want to add water and cook it, then after roasting turmeric powder , add mashed potato and mix it well and cook it in simmer for few minutes and can serve it. This is to save time.
- In this if you want can add 1/2tsp of chopped ginger and can put sliced or slit chillies instead of chopping it.
- I sometimes add 1/3rd cup of peas also while boiling water.
- It is up to, whether you want to add just potato or want to add carrot (1) and peas also.
- While mixing potato, if the quantity of liquid is more then cook it for sometime by keeping the lid open, it will absorb the lid.