Crispy paneer coated with chilli sauce
Paneer (cottage cheese) and capsicum stir fry is a semi dry dish coated with spicy chilli sauce and roasted sesame oil. This paneer and capsicum stir fry can be served as a starter or appetizer. If paneer (cottage cheese) is bought from the shop, I always soak it in hot water to make it soft for few minutes, then strain and add to the dish. I have coated the paneer pieces with corn flour and then deep fried for the crispy coating. If you want can sprinkle sesame seeds on the corn flour and coat the paneer pieces. I have used roasted sesame oil (Chinese one), if not use ordinary cooking sesame oil in this dish, it gives nutty flavour to the dish.
- Paneer – 250 gms
- Corn flour – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Oil – for frying
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Roasted sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Ginger – 2 tsp
- Garlic – 2 tsp
- Spring onions (sliced or chopped) – 4
- Green chilli (sliced) -1
- Ajinomoto (Chinese salt) – a big pinch
- Chilli flakes – 1 tsp
- White pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Light Soya sauce – 3 tbsp
- Rice vinegar – 2 1/2 tsp
- Water – 100 ml
- Tomato ketchup – 5 tbsp
- Chilli garlic sauce – 2 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Green capsicum (sliced) – 1/2
- Red capsicum (sliced) – 1/2
- Sesame oil (again) – 1 tsp
- Water – 40 ml
- Corn flour – 1 tsp
Corn flour starch
- Slice or chop spring onions diagonally or in strips and chop green chillies as you like, keep it ready.
- Cut paneer into rectangle shapes or triangle shapes, keep it aside.
- Soak in hot water for few minutes till it becomes soft, strain and dry it on the kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle some corn flour on the plate, coat the paneer pieces in the corn flour, dust the extra flour, and keep it aside.
- Heat enough oil in a pan, when hot place few paneer (cottage) pieces in the oil and fry it in batches till crispy and golden colour.
- Transfer into a plate and keep it ready.
- Preheat the vessel with sunflower or vegetable oil and roasted sesame oil both together, when hot add spring onions sauté for 1min.
- Add ginger, green chillies and garlic, sauté for 30sec, mix well.
- Add all the ingredients, ajinomoto (Chinese salt), sugar, chilli flakes, white pepper powder and the sauces, all together except cornstarch, water and vegetables, keep stirring.
- Sauté for1 to 2min, add water, stir well, and cook till you get sauce consistency, to coat the paneer pieces.
- Add paneer, green and red capsicum into the sauce, mix well, and cook for 1to 2min, till the sauce is coated well with the paneer and vegetables.
- At this stage, can avoid corn flour and switch it off, if the sauce is enough for coating paneer pieces.
- If not can add corn starch for thickness of sauce, mix water and corn flour in a bowl in the end, mix well, and cook for 1 to2min.
- Can add little more water as per the consistency you like.
- Drizzle some sesame oil again in the end, sauté for 1 to 2min, stir well, and switch it off.
- Garnish with spring onions or coriander leaves; serve with fried rice or noodles.
- You can add black pepper powder and chilli oil (Thai or Chinese chilli oil) as an additional taste, as per your taste.
- You can add ordinary onion instead of spring onion and chilli powder instead of chilli flakes.
- Add vegetables and paneer pieces as per the sauce consistency and the quantity