Butter chicken with almonds
Butter chicken is a very popular dish in India and lots of other countries. Butter chicken can be cooked in many variations and it depends what taste you like. You can find this in every restaurant in India and in Indian restaurants in other countries.
In this recipe, chicken is marinated with spices and cooked in oven or pan and then added to a gravy made with tomato puree, spices, cream and ofcourse, butter.
This butter chicken recipe is different from the other one, as in this one almond, cashew nut paste and honey are added, which gives a different taste from the other butter chicken recipe. I have even used the remaining marinade of tandoori chicken I made the previous day. It is optional only and not a must. Instead of it you can make the marinade and add it to the dish if you like to, otherwise you can avoid it. If you want you can add cream to get a smooth texture.
In this recipe I have not marinated the chicken, but I have included some pictures of marinating the chicken so that marinated and cooked chicken can be added in the sauce. It is your choice. I have added the remaining marinade of tandoori chicken (the ingredients which I have added in the tandoori chicken I have given below).
In this dish I tried to bring that sweetened texture which we have in hotel, the same taste didn’t come, but the taste was good, can be eaten with naan or pulav rice. The same version can be made with butter panner also.
I have made butter chicken by using milk ,for buttery, soft ,smooth ,creamy texture. It is not spicy ,but sweat and creamy texture is there.
In future I will show some more butter chicken recipes with slight changes. As it is up to us what we want in the butter chicken and can do experiments in the recipes.
Butter chicken goes well with naan, pulav, chapathi or pulkha(roti).
- Chicken with bones – 600 gms
- Tandoori chicken masala (ready made) – 2 tbsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Chilli powder (Kashmiri chilli powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Curd (thick) – 5 tbsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Colour – a pinch (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 1tbsp
- butter – 2tbsp
- onion – 11/2 (medium)(paste)
- Tomatoes – 2(medium )(paste)
- Green chillies – 2(paste)
- Black Cumin seeds – 1/2tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1tsp
- Coriander powder – 2tsp
- Green Cardamom 5
- Cloves – 5
- Black cardamom – 1
- Cinnamon stick (1 inch )
- Almond – 4
- Cashew – 5
- Milk – 1cup
- Tomato puri(concentrated) – 2tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – 3tbsp
- Honey – 1tbsp
- Salt as per taste
- Colour a pinch(optional)
- Garam masala – 1/4th tsp
- Kasoori meethi powder – 1tsp
- Remaining marinate of tandoori chicken – 1/3rd cup(optional)
- Almonds – 5to8(sliced)
- Soaked in warm water and then removed the skin and sliced it.
Gravy or sauce
- Butter chicken is cooked in 3 stages
- Marinate and cook the chicken
- Making sauce
- Adding chicken pieces to the sauce
- Marinate and cooking method in the oven , in this recipe I have avoided, but if you want , you can do this procedure.
- Mix curd and other spices in a bowl and add the chicken into it , mix well so that each pieces is well coated with marinate. refrigerate it for 4hrs to overnight. The curd should be thick.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius for 10 mins, place the chicken pieces in the tray which is covered with aluminium foil and cook it for 20 to 25 mins at 200 degree celcius. need to turn the chicken piece in between. We just want the chicken and the marinate to be coated well when it is cooked. Keep the chicken pieces side, when it is cooked. It should be cooked 90% only, remaing in the sauce. We want the chicken to be just cooked through. Keep the remaining marinate of chicken and also left over oil and the masala in the tray can be added to the sauce, it has come from the chicken while cooking.
- First make a paste of onion, green chillies, tomatoes separately and keep it aside. Soak almonds and cahews in warm water for 1/2hr and remove the skin of almonds and grind both to a smooth paste in a mixer ,can add little water and grind it.
- Put oil and butter, in preheated kadai or pan, when it gets warm add black cumin seeds , cloves, cardamom and other whole spices, stir for 10sec, then add onion paste stir it well and cook for 8min to 10min, till it is roasted and changes its colour.
- The add ginger and garlic paste, stir it for few seconds, till its rawness goes off. Now add tomatoes paste, green chilli paste, remaining marinate of tandoori chicken or add a mixture of(curd 3tbsp,cumin powder 1/2tsp, Kashmir chilli powder 1/2tsp,garam masala a pinch) and stir it for 5min till the onion and tomato paste mixture is cooked well .
- Now add chill powder and coriander powder , tomato puri mix well , then add water 1/2cup , after stirring ,close the lid and cook till it changes its colour and a gravy like colour has formed and it is cooked well. now add chicken pieces at this stage if not marinated and cooked and cook for 10min on medium heat , then add milk and cook till that thick gravy consistency is formed, it changes its colour from light colour to little dark colour. The gravy consistency is formed at this stage.
- If you have marinated the chicken and cooked it in oven, then add chicken pieces with its remaining oil and juice of it in the gravy, only after the milk is added and cooked well and continue the procedure as follows.
- Now when the chicken is cooked well after adding milk, add all the remaining ingredients like tomato ketchup, salt ,honey, kasuri methi, garam masala , almond and cashew paste and cook well for 10 to 15min ,till the sauce becomes thick and smooth texture is formed. Stir it in between. Taste it, if this consistency is okay or any thing is needed you will come to know .
- When the gravy is ready and the chicken is binded well with the sauce, can simmer it for 10min again. At this stage add chopped almonds or sliced thinly pieces and mix well.
- You can see that the sauce colour changes from light colour to orange colour and it starts leaving oil also. a good consistency of sauce should form. stir in between, taste the sauce and check it.
- If it is sour then add little more sugar and ketchup and cook it for a little more time till the sauce is thick and gives you a good taste.
- Can add add colour(optional), when kasoori methi powder(crushed in hand), is added in the sauce. When the sauce is ready switch it off. If you want can drizzle some cream and chopped almonds while serving.
- Let it rest for few minutes.
- The sauce is sweat ,smooth and little sour also. it is good ,try it.
- Serve with naan or roti and enjoy yourself with this dish.
- While adding milk be care full, it can split add slowly and mix well.
- The chicken pieces should be added in the gravy with its juice and oil left in the tray, if it is cooked in the oven.
- You can avoid colour if you want.
- If the sauce gets thickens and dry add milk and cook it.
- If the sauce is still lousy and not thick cook for some more time till it is thick do not see the timings.
- The chicken can be cooked fully in a oven and then added to the sauce also but it should not be hard or crispy.
- Those who do not have oven, cook the chicken on pan by closing the lid, till the marinate is cooked and it is coated well with chicken.you can follow any tandoori chicken recipe which is cooked without oven but steaming method.