Bhel puri is one of the most famous and favourite of all chaat. It is a mixture of spicy, sweet and sour. It is know by different names in different places like jhaal muri(hot puffed rice) in kolkota, churumuri in Bangalore and other places often called as bhel puri. It can be easily made at home as per your taste. Bhel puri is made with puffed rice, a mixture of vegetables (onion, grated carrot, coriander leaves, boiled potato, green chillies, cucumber), sweet chutney (tamarind chutney), green chutney and sev (a thin fried noodle made with gram flour). These are the common ingredients which often in bhel puri are found, the additional ingredients are papdi or golgappa (a crispy puri which is made with flour), raw mango, pomegranate (anardana). The finished snack (bhelpuri) is often garnished with chopped onion, green chillies and coriander leaves. All these ingredients when mixed together makes a tasty and delicious chaat (snack) known as bhel puri. Bhel puri can be made at home easily, with simple and few ingredients. Now days in the market we get Bombay bhel mixa mixture of puffed rice, crispies, papadi, peanuts and more) with which you need to just add the chutneys and other ingredients as per your taste.
- Onion (chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Green chilli (chopped) – 1/4
- Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Papdi or golgappa (crushed) – 2 or 3
- Roasted Peanuts – 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp
- Boiled potato (small, mashed) – 1/2
- Roasted jeera powder – a big pinch
- Chaat masala (optional) – a pinch (optional)
- Cucumber (chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 to 1 1/2 tbsp
- Tamarind chutney – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Green chutney – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2 to 3 tsp
- Sev – handful
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1 tbsp
- Pomegranate (Anar dana) – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Bhel (puffed rice) – 1 cup (250 ml cup)
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil (optional) – 1/2 tsp
- Take a pan or any vessel, add little oil (optional) add puffed rice and turmeric powder, roast on low flame till puffed rice is crispy like fresh again and mixed well with turmeric powder.
- Place a boiled potato in a bowl, smash, add a pinch of chilli powder and roasted cumin powder or a pinch of chaat masala, with little salt, mix and keep it aside.
- First chop all the vegetables finely and keep it ready.
- Take a wider bowl, add first dry ingredients like puffed rice, onion, green chilli, roasted peanuts, crushed golgappa or papdi, smashed potato, raw mango, roasted cumin powder, chilli powder mix all.
- Add tamarind chutney 2tbsp, 2tsplemon juice and green chutney 1tbsp mix all.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with sev, pomegranate, tamarind and green chutney again as per your taste and coriander leaves.
- Tasty and delicious bhel puri is ready.
- Depending on the freshness of your puffed rice, can lightly roast the puffed rice in a vessel to make it crispy.
- Bombay Bhel puri mix is available in the stores or with any crispies mixed with puffed rice, just buy that and add chutneys and ingredients of your choice.
- Add the spices as per your taste, some like sweet, some spicy.
- Add the vegetables and chutneys as per your taste, as the chutnies are prepared differently in each house.