Egg and vegetable fried rice with oyster sauce
Oyster sauce makes this fried rice quite different from other fried rice.You will find varieties of fried rice like egg fried rice, vegetable fried rice, prawns, chicken and mixed non-vegetarian fried rice, oyster sauce fried rice and many more. At the end of the day it is just mixing and matching your favourite ingredients to produce a fried rice you like. It is up to you whether you want to chop or shred the vegetables. You can use any vegetable you like - cabbage, beans, bean sprouts, mushroom, peas, etc. It is usually cooked in a wok but according to my convenience and availability, I have used a wide kadai. I have used basmati rice. You can use ordinary rice like ponni raw rice as well. Egg and vegetable fried rice with oyster sauce has a very unique taste, which I liked. You can serve it with any side dish you like. I have served it with oyster sauce chicken and cauliflower manchurian.
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic (chopped) – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Spring onion – 2
- Red capsicum – 1/2
- Green capsicum – 1/4
- Carrots – 2
- Basmati rice (raw) – 1 cup
- Oyster sauce – 2 tbsp
- Soya sauce (dark) – 2 tsp
- Black pepper (freshly ground) – 1 tsp
- Ajinomoto (MSG) – 2 pinches
- Salt - as per taste
- Eggs – 3
- Pepper powder – a pinch
- Salt - as per taste
For egg mixture
- First cook the rice and keep it aside. Allow to cool. You can also use the cooked rice, which has been kept in the fridge.
- Take a bowl, add eggs and beat well. Add a pinch of pepper and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Chop carrots, capsicum, spring onion (both green and white part), ginger and garlic into small pieces or slice them thin. Keep aside.
- Keep some green part of spring onions for garnishing later.
- Heat a wide kadai or vessel, add 1 tbsp oil and when it gets warm, add ginger and garlic. Stir for 2 to 3 seconds and then add white part of spring onion and carrot. Stir well. Let it cook for a few minutes until the carrots are partly cooked. Now add capsicum and stir well.
- The vegetables should be crunchy not over cooked, corner the vegetables to one side, simmer the flame and add egg mixture to the other side, put remaining oil in the corner sides of egg mixture, so that it does not stick to the vessel, let it set for 10sec.
- In between can simmer the flame so that it is not burnt.
- Then with the stirring spoon briskly swirl around the egg to break it up, to form a scramble form, it will take 2 to 3min. Can see in the picture.
- Once the egg is forming scramble form, but it is still soft, mix it with all vegetables.
- Stir the vegetables with the egg nicely, after 30sec, add rice and mix it with the vegetables, you can simmer it, to avoid burning. Let the rice get warm, stir well, so that all the ingredients are blended well. Can keep it on medium flame.
- Now add the oyster sauce, soya sauce, sprinkle salt as per taste, mix all and cook it for 3 to 4min.
- Stir frequently in between.
- Sprinkle remaining (green part) spring onions and pepper powder and mix well, cook it on simmer for 5min and switch it off or on medium heat for 2 to 3 min till rice is cooked with the sauce and well blended. Stir in between.
- Can garnish with spring onions and serve it with oyster sauce chicken, cauliflower manchurian, vegetable manchurian, chilli paneer or any side dish you like.
- Can reduce or increase the vegetables according to your taste.
- Always taste the food, so that you can add any sauce or seasoning, if it requires.
- My spring onions were long and thick, if it is small then can use 3 to 4 spring onions.
- Can cook the food on high heat as Chinese food is cooked, but at you comfort and easiness.
- While cooking the food, you can lower the flame if food is getting burn.
- If you want, can add cooked prawns or cooked chicken pieces also.