Oyster sauce chicken
Oyster sauce chicken is an oriental dish, which has a new taste and flavour of oyster. Oyster sauce is used in Chinese cuisine and Vietnamese cuisine, in soups, stir fries or as a dipping sauce and many more dishes. It is made from oysters and has a sweet taste and unique flavour. Vegetarian version is also available and is made from mushrooms. I have cooked this dish according to my taste buds. Chicken in oyster sauce is different from other dishes as in this no soya sauce is used; it has very different taste, which I liked it very much. You can cook with prawns, fish and beef with the same ingredients but only the method of cooking changes, as fish and prawns get cooked fast, you need to add them in the last instead of marinating and if it is beef, thin slices or strips need to be fried separately then added in the sauce or can marinate and fry as it can take more time. In this, I have taken boneless chicken cut into medium size chunks; you can cut it into strips also. In this I have marinated the chicken then fried it in the wok/kadai.
Preparation time: 15 mins (does not include time to marinate)
Cooking time: 25 mins
Serves: 2 to 3
Spiciness: Medium (sweet and tangy)
- Chicken – 250 to 300 gms
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic cloves (big, chopped) – 2
- Green chillies (sliced) – 2
- Green chilli (sliced) – 2
- Capsicum (red) – 1/2
- Capsicum (green) – 1/4
- Onion – 1/2
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Coriander leaves (roughly chopped) – 1/3 cup
- Oyster sauce – 4 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup – 4 tbsp
- Dark soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Brown sugar or jaggery – 1 tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Crushed chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Cut the boneless chicken into small chunks or strips.
- Take a bowl, add all the marinate ingredients and mix well, then add the chicken pieces, mix it and marinate it for more than 3hrs to 4hrs in the fridge.
- Chop garlic, slice green chillies finely and capsicum in to square cut or chunks.
- Now heat the wok or kadai, add oil, when it gets hot add chopped garlic and stir it quickly.
- Then immediately add marinated chicken with marinated sauce and stir it.
- Cook the chicken until it cooks well on medium flame not on a very high flame, need to stir frequently as the sauce can burn.
- I have added water to loosen the sauce and to cook the chicken well.
- When the chicken is getting almost cooked and the sauce is getting reduced, add green chillies and mix well.
- Stir it well until the sauce is well coated with the chicken and it becomes like semi gravy or semi sauce not completely dried.
- Add capsicum,onion, spring onion and coriander leaves at last stage, when the chicken is cooked well in the sauce.
- Stir it for 2 to 3 mins, and then simmer it for 5 mins, so that it starts leaving the oil.
- In the picture you can see that I have not roasted it to dry but left some sauce with the chicken.
- You can switch it off when the sauce consistency is according to your tatse.
- If you want, after simmering, when it starts leaving oil, can start roasting again to get that chilli chicken style or dry fry type on medium heat, but capsicum has to be added at the end stage, so that it does not become soft or soggy.
- Serve it with any fried rice or noodles.
- You can increase or reduce the chillies as per taste.
- You can avoid adding water if enough sauce is there to cook the chicken.
- You can add chillies when garlic is added and can add chopped ginger and garlic instead of paste in the marinate.
- Sometimes I avoid soya sauce, spring onion and coriander leaves, which tastes good.
- You can use just sugar, if brown sugar or jaggery is not available.
- You can add any colour capsicum any quantity also including onion chunks.