Prawns pad thai
Prawns Pad Thai is a stir fry noodle with fish sauce, lime juice and vegetables, very famous as a street food in Thailand and is served with Thai condiments (crushed peanuts, chives, pickled turnip, coriander leaves, lime, spicy chili oil, chili powder, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar or palm sugar). In Thailand, their food has to be sour, salty, sweet, spicy and tangy, which is in this recipe. You can find pad thai, taste differently in each restaurant, as everyone add different combination of sauces like fish sauce, soya sauce, sweet soya sauce , tamarind paste or pulp, oyster sauce.
You can view my vegetarian and chicken pad Thai which is cooked with tamarind and oyster sauce. I bought ready-made chopped stir fry vegetables from the super market which made my work easier, but you can add the vegetables and prawns as per the quantity and taste.
- Veg/sunflower/peanut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Garlic cloves (chopped) – 2
- Red chilli (fresh, long, sliced) – 1
- Fish sauce – 1 1/2 tbsp
- White pepper – 3/4 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Onion (medium size) – 1/2
- Carrot – 1/2
- Cabbage (shredded) – 1/3 cup or handful
- Bean sprouts - handful
- Spring onion (chopped or sliced) – 2
- Red capsicum (sliced) – 1/2
- Yellow capsicum (sliced) – 1/4
- Peanuts (roasted) – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Flat Thai noodles (boiled) – 60 gms
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1/3 cup
- Slice or shred or cut the vegetables like matchsticks.
- Wash dry shrimps and keep it aside.
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water for 20 minutes until they have softened.
- Heat the oil in a wok or a wider vessel / kadai and fry the garlic, onion, spring onion (white part) mushrooms, carrot and red chilli for 30 seconds high heat.
- Add other vegetables with dry shrimps and sugar, except coriander leaves and spring onion (only green leaf), cook on high heat for 2min.
- Add drained noodles, sauce on it, salt and white pepper stir for 1min.
- Toss in the remaining spring onions (white part), prawns (boiled), coriander leaves, chopped (coarsely) peanuts, mix all.
- Add lemon juice or lime juice, cook for 1 to 2min, switch off.
- Serve hot in a bowl or plate with a lime wedge, garnish with coriander leaves, sprinkle few peanuts.
- You can use palm sugar or brown sugar instead of caster sugar.
- Instead of lemon use lime juice as per taste (1/2, lime).
- Black pepper can be used instead of white pepper.
- Buy fresh red chilli as per your taste medium hot or very mild.
- While adding the noodles and fish sauce can reduce the heat.
- You can cook prawns pad Thai the same way as I did for the chicken pad thai.