Egg fried rice with fish sauce and sesame oil
Egg fried rice is a very popular Chinese dish, but it has many variations. You can also add any meat you like, like chicken, prawns or vegetables like cabbage, capsicum, beans, carrot or bean sprout. It is up to you whether you want to add any vegetables or any meat.
I have made this fried rice with fish sauce and sesame oil. It was good and had a different taste. It gets cooked pretty quickly if chopping is done in advance. It is easy to prepare and makes a good meal in itself. For best results, make sure rice is cooked in advance and cooled down so that while frying the rice will not stick together. You can see my other recipe egg and vegetable fried rice - the procedure and method is the same - the only difference being this one has sesame oil and fish sauce.
Chinese food is cooked in a wok and at very high flame but I have just taken bigger kadai and cooked at medium flame according to my convenience.
Fish sauce is used mostly in Thai recipes and other south East Asian countries. It is used in soups, curries and also as a dipping condiment. It has a different flavour and taste.
Sesame oil is edible oil and made of sesame seeds. It is used in south part of India. It is in brown dark colour, because it is roasted. We get light colour sesame oil also.
- Basmati or any rice (cooked and cooled) - 4 cups
- Vegetable oil or Sun flower oil – 1 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tbsp
- Beans - 100 gms
- Cabbage - 150 gms
- Capsicum (any colour) – 1
- Carrots - 2
- Ajinomoto - 2 pinches
- Rice vinegar - 2 1/2 tsp
- Chicken stock cube - 1
- Fish sauce - 1 1/2 tbsp to 2 tbsp
- Soya sauce - 1 tbsp
- Spring onion (chopped) - 3 to 4
- Black pepper powder – 2 pinches
- Eggs - 4
- Green chillies (slit or diagonally cut) - 6
- Oil for frying eggs - 3 tsp
- Take a bowl and put all the eggs and beat well. Add a pinch of black pepper powder, sesame oil and salt as per taste. Mix well and keep aside.
- Chop all the vegetables thinly or cut into small pieces or shredded. You can even use food processor but it will be very fine.
- Take a wider pan or vessel, add both the oils. When it gets warm, add vegetables one by one. Stir well. Let it cook for a few minutes until beans are cooked. Add capsicum and spring onions and stir well.
- Add chicken cube, crush it in the pan, make it into a powder, mix well with all vegetables. Add green chillies and stir well. The vegetables should be crunchy and not very soft.
- After 30 seconds push the vegetables to one side, add the egg mixture on the other side. Put oil in the corner sides of egg so that it does not stick to the vessel. Let it set for 10 seconds and then briskly swirl around the egg to break it up to make a scramble.
- Once the egg is scrambled but when it is still soft mix it with all vegetables.
- Stir the vegetables with the egg nicely. Then add ajinomoto, fish sauce, vinegar, and mix all with the vegetables.
- After 30 seconds, add rice and mix it with the vegetables. You can simmer it to avoid burning. Let the rice get warm and stir well so that all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Sprinkle black pepper powder and salt as per taste. Mix all and cook it for 2 to 3 mins and then switch off. You can simmer for 5 mins by closing the lid if you want.
- You can serve it with vegetable manchurian, chilli paneer or any dish you like.
- Chop the vegetables or shred it finely but not in a food processor, as you can see in picture it was very fine, for Chinese it has to be shredded type or small pieces chopped or any size or shape you like it.
- If you feel the rice you have is more, you can reduce according to the vegetables and sauces used. You can adjust according to your taste.
- Chicken stock cube already has salt content. So be careful while adding salt. Alternatively you can use vegetable stock cube.
- Always taste the food while cooking so that you can add any sauce or seasoning if it is required.
- You can avoid ajinomoto and green chillies if you dont want.
- I have not added chopped ginger and garlic. If you want you can add.
- If you want, you can add the egg mixture at last after the rice is added and mixed well with the vegetables. Just push the the rice and vegetables to a corner and pour the egg mixture and cook like described above.
- You can lower the heat if needed or if you see that it is getting burnt.
- If you want you can add cooked prawns or cooked chicken pieces.