Bang bang chicken salad
Bang bang chicken traditionally means pounding the chicken to make it tender. In bang bang chicken, the main ingredient is peanut sauce, served with rice vermicelli or mung bean noodles. The ingredients in the bang bang chicken (Chinese) are similar to goda goda salad which is from Indonesian cuisine. This bang bang chicken can be served hot or cold. In the bang bang chicken salad, I have used simple boiled chicken, you can boil the chicken with some spring onion and ginger pieces or can fry it like me with pepper and dry chilli flakes. You can shred the chicken or can use the small pieces like me. I have used the vegetables like carrot, cucumber, lettuce leaves or any salad leaves you like, you can use boiled bean sprout, vermicelli (rice noodles). I have used smooth peanut butter to make peanut sauce. You can arrange it in a plate according to your style; I have served it for one person, a small portion.
- Mung bean or rice noodles – 50gms
- Peanut sauce – 1/2cup or more
- Sesame seeds – 3tsp (roasted)
- Roasted peanuts – 1tbsp (crushed)
- Carrot – 1
- Cucumber – 1(sliced)
- Coriander leaves – few (chopped)
- Boiled chicken or fried chicken – 100gms
- I have used the potato peeler, to have thin strips of carrot and cucumber.
- Roast sesame seeds on the tava or pan and keep it aside.
- Take a vessel, place the noodles, pour boiled hot water on the noodles and keep it soaked for 12min to 15min.
- Strain it in a strainer and rinse under cold water, to keep the noodles separate from each other.
- Again strain it and toss with 1tsp of sesame oil or vegetable or sunflower oil, so that it won’t stick to each other. Keep it aside.
- I have taken boneless small chicken pieces; can fry it or boil it.
- Take a kadai and add oil, when it gets hot, add all the chicken pieces and stir fry till it is cooked well, at last add black pepper powder 1/2tsp and salt.
- When it is cooked, keep it aside.
- Or boil the chicken (100gms) in 2cup water with 1 spring onion, chopped roughly and ginger (1tsp), salt or just black pepper powder 1/2tsp only and strain it after boiling, allow cooling.
- Can use any left over plain roast chicken.
- Now assembling the bang bang chicken (portion for one person).
- Take a plate, take some noodles as required, and pour 2tbsp or more of peanut sauce, then few chicken pieces, few carrot and cucumber strips.
- At last crushed roasted peanut and sesame seeds and chopped coriander leaves, sprinkle on top as required. The bang bang chicken salad is now ready.
- You can have the bang bang chicken salad as a cold salad or warm salad.
Frying the chicken
- Can shred or grate the vegetables as per your taste.
- Instead of chicken can use prawns or boiled eggs (sliced thinly) or just with salad and cottage cheese (paneer, lightly fried on grill or pan) for vegetarians.
- With the same salad, can use for the spring roll, can make a wrap and sandwich also.
- Take small lettuce leaves (little gems), put the salad, roll and eat it.