Achari Panner is a spicy vegetarian paneer recipe of North India, made with the spices which go into pickle. In each place and restaurant, Achari Paneer is made with different spices and taste. This Achari Paneer is different from the other curries; you can try and know the taste. Spices are roasted and grounded in a pestle mortal or grinder. In the Achari Paneer , I have added curd and lemon juice, which gives a sour and tangy taste. In the Achari Paneer, I have added thick chillies; you can add any green chillies you like. I have used mustard oil for Achari Paneer (traditionally mustard oil is used) cooking, but you can use vegetable or sunflower oil. Mustard oil is unique from other oils, as it is heated, till it starts to smoke, as it will improve both its flavour and nutrional value. This Achari Paneer goes well with chapathi (roti), plain rice, pulav, Nan. With the same spices can try with chicken, cauliflower, fish, mutton or mixed vegetable.
- Paneer – 200 gms
- Mustard oil – 3 tbsp
- Garlic cloves (crushed)– 3
- Dry chillies (broken into pieces) - 2
- Onion seeds – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds (fenugreek seeds) – 1/4 tsp
- Onion (medium, sliced) – 1
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Curd – 3 tbsp
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Tomato (medium, sliced) – 1
- Salt - as per taste
- Green chillies (sliced) – 1
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (optional) – few
- Coriander seeds – 3 tsp or 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Saunf seeds (aniseed) – 2 tsp
- Onion seeds (kalonji) – 1/2 tsp
Achari masala (pickle masala)
- Slice onion, tomato and green chilli, and crush garlic, keep aside.
- Roast all the spices on medium or lower flame, till aroma and flavour comes from it.
- Let it cool and ground it to powder form, in a pestle mortal or spice grinder.
- Preheat the vessel with mustard oil, you need to make mustard oil very hot first smoky, and then reduce the mustard oil temperatue, as if garlic is added in a very hot oil then it can burnt, let the temperature of the oil be slightly hot.
- Add garlic and dry chillies in the hot oil, when it starts sizzling, add Methi seeds and onion seeds, let it splutter for few seconds, do not burn garlic, as it can give bitter taste.
- Add sliced onion, cook till it is transparent and becomes soft.
- Add ginger paste, stir for few seconds, then add curd, chilli powder, turmeric powder, roasted pickle masala 2tsp and roast for 1 to 2min and immediately add water, mix well , cook till the spices are cooked and it starts leaving oil, cook on the medium flame.
- When the spices are cooked well, and it becomes like masala type, add tomato slices and paneer pieces, mix well, cook for 3 to 4min, till the paneer pieces is well blended and coated with the onion mixture.
- Add sliced green chillies, again roasted pickle masala , lemon juice and little water 1/3rd cup, mix well, cook on simmer for 8 to 10min.
- After 10min, the achari paneer is ready to serve, as a starter or main meal.
- Serve with plain rice, pulav ,chapathi(roti) or naan or as a starter.
Preparing the Achari masala (pickle masala)
- If the Achari Paneer becomes very thick can add little water as per your consistency and cook.
- Can reduce the oil and chilli as per your taste.
- Can cook the Achari Paneer in the style of Achari chicken or any recipe related to Achari which Iam posting later.
- Sometimes I add tomato puri or paste 2tsp (ready made, concentrated one), for the colour, in the onion mixture.
- Can add ginger julinee and capsicum few slices in the end and cook.
- Can add ginger and garlic paste instead of ginger paste.