Vegetable balls with chilli sauce
Vegetable Manchurian is a popular dish and is liked by every one. It is served as a starter in every restaurant in India. In this recipe I have used chilli paste made with Kashmiri dry chillies. I have prepared vegetable balls with different sauces according to my taste. It is spicy, sour but tastes good. I have made it a bit like a gravy, but if you want it to be drier or semi gravy, you can prepare it.
To make vegetable balls, you can use any vegetables you like. Some add paneer as well. But I have not added paneer in this. In this recipe I have used cooked rice to bind nicely. For me, it was very difficult to make round balls. So I just made small balls of whatever shape I could get. You can add chopped green chillies, pepper powder, chilli oil, chilli paste and sesame oil. You can add anything according to your taste to the balls.
For making the sauce, I have used green chillies and chilli paste. It is up to you, how spicy you want the sauce to be. You can use chilli oil, sesame oil, chilli sauce or anything you want to try. I always change my ingredients to have a new taste.
- Cabbage – 120 gms
- Carrot – 100 gms or 2
- Beans – 75 gms
- Cauliflower – 120 gms
- Capsicum – 1/2
- Cooked rice - handful
- Green chilli – 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp
- Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tsp
- Ajinomoto (Chinese salt) – a pinch
- Chilli paste – 1 tsp
- Soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Spring onion – 1
- Corn flour – 5 tsp or more
- Salt - as per taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion (small) – 1
- Vegetable cube - 1
- Ginger – 1 1/2 tsp
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Spring onion – 2
- Green chillies – 2 to 3
- Chilli paste – 3 tsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Water - 1/2 cup (50ml)
- Soya sauce – 4 tsp
- Tomato ketchup – 4 tbsp to 5 tbsp
- Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Water (again) – 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch – water 1/4 cup + corn flour 1 tsp
- Spring onion – 1 (chopped)
- Chop all the vegetables finely. You can do this using a food processor. You can grate cauliflower and add to the chopped vegetables. You can change the quantity of vegetables and based on what you like. If you want you can shred it, but it has to be very fine.
- Chop spring onion, green chillies, ginger and garlic finely and keep aside.
- For chilli paste, soak dry chillies in hot water for more than 30min or till it softens and make a paste by grinding it in a blender or mixer.
- Can use any dry chillies but I have used Kashmir chillies.
- Now take all the vegetables like carrot, cabbage, beans, capsicum, cauliflower and steam it, cook till it is cooked well. I have used steamer to steam it. It should be boiled.
- When the vegetables are cooked well squeeze it well so that there is no water inside, keep that vegetable water aside can be used in the sauce as vegetable stock.
- Put all the vegetables in a plate and add ginger, spring onion, green chillies, soya sauce, pepper powder, chilli paste, ajinomoto, cooked rice and corn flour and mix well.
- When it is mixed well, make small balls by pressing it in your palm, that is put small ball size in your palm and press it tightly, so that it is attached well and keep it on a plate.
- Little moisture should be there in the vegetables so that it binds well, if it is dry according to the binding can add few drops of vegetable stock (remaining water from the boiled vegetables).
- Place it on a plate, can see in the picture.
- Put corn flour on the plate and coat each ball with corn flour and fry it in deep oil.
- Do not fry it on very high flame, while frying the balls; drop it carefully in the oil.
- After frying all the balls in oil, keep it aside in a plate on tissue paper.
- Be care full while handling the balls, as it is very delicate and can break easily.
- Preheat the vessel or a pan with oil, when it gets warm add chopped onions, green chillies, and vegetable cube( smash it well), stir well.
- When the onions become soft and transparent, add sugar and chilli paste, mix well for 30sec, and then add ginger, garlic and sugar mix well, sauté for 30seconds.
- Now add all the sauces and mix well immediately and cook for 2min, then add water and cook till it is absorbed not dry and the rawness of chilli paste has gone.
- Now add water again and mix well, cook till it gives the saucy consistency. Let it boil for few minutes.
- Add pepper powder and spring onions mix well, cook till spring onions becomes soft and the sauce is well blended with other ingredients and cooked well.
- Taste and see whether you require anything for the sauce.
- Now add cornstarch and mix well, cook for 2 to 3 minutes till that rawness of corn flour is gone.
- As soon as the cornstarch is added the colour of the sauce also changes.
- At last when sauce is according to your consistencies add vegetable balls and mix well, can add few chopped spring onions also.
- Or just pour the sauce in a bowl and place the vegetables balls on the sauce.
- You can serve this dish with any fried rice or any noodles you like.
Cooking vegetable balls
- If you have any vegetable stock, which was squeezed from the boiled vegetables, can use for the sauce instead of plain water.
- Can reduce chilli, according to your taste.
- If you want your sauce to be dry avoid adding water second time and the cornstarch also, then it will become, dry type.
- I some times add sesame oil in the sauce also at last, it gives a different taste.
- Always whenever cooking, taste and see, if you require anything in the sauce.
- If you think that your sauce is according to your consistency and can avoid cornstarch.
- With ordinary onions, you can use spring onions also. I have used white part and green part.
- If you want can prepare batter also for the balls, equal ratio of maida (plain flour and corn flour.