Thenga manga pattani sundal
In Chennai the most popular snack which is very popular and sold near Marina beach is Thenga manga pattani sundal. Thenga manga pattani sundal is a snack which is eaten mostly near the marina beach in Chennai or near the parks. A boy comes with his barefoot on the sand and with his sundal bucket, some murk (made with rice flour, with some spices) and some news papers with him. With the help of newspaper he make a cone shape pocket and serves the sundal. I always ask him to top with more mango pieces(shavings). The sourness of mango and the sundal goes well along with it. Whenever I go to beach I never miss this sundal, this is my favourite childhood snack at beach.
In south India, during festival times, they make varieties of sundal like with black chana, chickpea, white dry peas, dry green peas, yellow peas and many more or dry beans too. In this sundal, I have used grated coconut for more tatse, but often I just do seasoning like mustard seeds, curry leaves, onion and green chillies and in the end just drizzle lime juice to give sour tatse.
- Dry peas (yellow or white) – 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 1/2 cups
- Raw mango (for garnishing) – few slices
- Raw mango (for garnishing) – few chopped pieces
- Coriander leaves (chopped, for garnishing) – few
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Hing (asafoetida) – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger (chopped) – 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves - 12
- Onion (medium, chopped) – 1
- Green chillies (finely chopped) – 1
- Grated fresh coconut – 3 tbsp
- Raw mango (chopped) – 3 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Soak dry peas (vattani or pattani(tamil)) overnight or for 6 hours.
- Cook dry peas with sufficient water in a pressure cooker, till it is soft and cooked well.
- The dry peas is cooked well, no moisture should be there and can mash few cooked peas and keep it aside.
- Preheat the vessel, add oil, when hot add mustard seeds, let it splutter for few seconds, add onion, green chillies, curry leaves, ginger, hing, cook till onion is soft and transparent.
- Add coconut and mix well. close the lid and cook on simmer for 5 mins. Switch off.
- Add peas and salt. Mix well and cook for a few minutes so that all the moisture is absorbed. It doesn’t matter if peas is getting mashed.
- Serve with more mango shavings or small pieces on top.
- It is sour, spicy and delicious snack to eat.
- If mango is not available can drizzle lime or lemon juice and eat.
- Can avoid coconut and raw mango pieces, while cooking the sundal.
- I have used the fresh frozen coconut grated.
- Good snack for picnics or lunch boxes.
- Can use the above ingredients for any dry beans you like and serve as a snack.