Stuffed capsicum (bharvaan simla mirch)
Stuffed capsicum with potato mixture is very common and made easily without any efforts. Capsicum is also known as bell peppers or just peppers, can use any colour you like. In Bangalore, I used to get those beautiful small capsicums, which is my favourite vegetable. You can stuff mince meat, rice pulav, couscous, pav-bhajji masala or potato poriyal of masala dosa, anything you like. Can fry it in tava or kadai, by keeping the lid open or closed. If closing the lid, the capsicum will be soft and if kept open and cooked, it will be crispy. Stuffed capsicum can be served with plain rice, pulav or just as a snack or starter. Sometimes I make coconut based curry or tomato based curry, pour on the stuffed capsicum, which goes well with plain rice and roti (chapathi)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion (chopped) – 1
- Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Amchur powder (mango powder) – 1/2 tsp
- Boiled potato (medium size) – 2
- Green chilli (chopped) – 1
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped) - few
- Salt - as per taste
- Capsicum - 3
- Oil – 2 tbsp for frying
- Cut the top of the capsicum with the stem carefully and keep it aside, so that after stuffing capsicum, we can close it with the stem cut (cap).
- Can discard all the seeds inside the capsicum and on the top of the stem (cap).
- Smash the potatoes, add chilli powder, amchur (lemon juice) , lemon juice salt, coriander leaves, mix all and keep it ready.
- Preheat the vessel with oil, when its hot adds cumin seeds, onion, and sauté till it is golden colour.
- Add chilli flakes, sauté for few seconds, add green chillies sauté for 15seconds.
- Add potato mixture, mix with other ingredients, cook for 3 to 4min on simmer, switch it off.
- Let the potato mixture cools.
- Stuff the potato mixture inside the capsicum and close the top of the capsicum with the help of capsicum stem.
- In order, the stem of the capsicum should not move, I pierced it with tooth pick on both sides, but be careful.
- Preheat the kadai with oil 1tbsp, when hot; place the capsicums one by one.
- Cook till its colour changes to golden colour and becomes soft.
- In between can simmer the flame, and drizzle few tsp of oil if it is burning.
- Slowly turn the pieces in between and cook evenly all sides.
- Serve on a plate and enjoy it with any sauce you like.
- Can add all the spices in the onion fry and then add the potato mixture.
- Can adjust with mango powder (amchur powder) and lemon juice, as both are sour.
- Can make the capsicum half, and stuff it, and fry it on one side only in the tava or kadai.