Potato and biscuit cutlet
Potato and biscuit cutlet is one of my childhood memories, I still remember, when I am back from school, I used to get this potato cutlet, which is sweet and spicy but not much when I started eating spicy food. During my school days, in holidays, I started making cutlets, just helping mother in peeling, mashing potato, mixing and making round shape cutlet.
I used to enjoy in the kitchen and my mom used to fry and give it to me, as it was hot oil. And now aim doing for my son. Whenever we are with children we need to be careful, and keep them away from sharp and hot things, so that accidents don’t happen.
My potato cutlet is sweet because of biscuit and spicy because of green chilli, crispy because of vermicelli (dry thin noodles), for small kids can avoid green chilli. I have not added any breadcrumbs or coated with plain flour for crispy coating.
- Potato (boiled) - 500 gms
- Vermicelli – handful
- Green chilli (long, chopped) – 1
- Pepper powder – 1/2 to 3/4 tsp
- Biscuit (crushed) – 4
- Tomato (chopped) – 1
- Salt - as per taste
- Vermicelli - for coating
- Oil - for frying
- Chop tomato and green chilli in small pieces and keep it aside.
- Remove the pulp of tomato, don’t add, as it can make the potato mixture soggy.
- If the vermicelli is long, crush into small pieces and keep it aside. My vermicelli is already in small pieces, which we get in India.
- Crush the biscuit (I have used Marie or parle or rich tea biscuit or plain biscuit) with your hand coarsely and keep it aside. Don’t add salty biscuit or chocolate biscuit.
- Take a wider bowl, add potato, mash well.
- Add all the ingredients one by one including vermicelli and mix well.
- Make Pattie or round circle shape or any shape you like.
- Can fry directly or you can coat with vermicelli as I did.
- Place the patties on the vermicelli and coat it, press lightly so that they are well attached to each other.
- Heat the oil in a kadai or any vessel, oil should be sufficient to deep fry the potato cutlet.
- When the oil is hot, add potato cutlets one by one and cook on medium heat not very high as it can get dark brown soon.
- Cook the potato cutlets in batches and cook till it is golden brown in colour and cooked well.
- It is crispy from outside and soft from inside; even tomato bits will be seen.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or any sauce you like.
- Add the biscuits as per your taste and you can avoid green chilli for the kids.
- You can use any plain biscuit you have at home.
- Don’t keep the mixture in the fridge, as it will not fry well (deep fry), as potato cutlet will break. When patties are made, cook immediately and serve it.