Palak gosht karahi
Palak gosht is very popular dish in north india and now a days you can see it in every north resturants like palak paneer, palak gosht is loved by non-vegeterians. This is spinach and mutton curry, which I made it by seeing it in TV show, when the chef from the resturant (fast food) was showing the preparation, but they did not reveal their real spices, I have tried myself and made it very delicious gravy. Even when you visit some resturants or dhabha, you can learn few things by seeing them what ingredients they are adding and can do by your self. The spinach and mutton combination goes well. I have already shown you adding vegetables with mutton and making curry, this time I am showing you making gravy with spinach. You can serve this with naan, roti (chapathi) or jeera rice.
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Onion (medium size) – 2
- Green chillies – 4
- Spinach – 100 gms
- Green chillies – 2
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Mutton – 350 gms
- Water – 120 ml
- Tomato puree (concentrated) – 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 2
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kasoori methi – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
For onion paste
For spinach paste
- First slice the onions and keep it aside.
- Chop the tomatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai or a vessel , when it gets warm add onion and fry till it is soft and golden brown.
- After cooking, when it is cooled, blend it with green chillies into a smooth paste, by adding little water.
- Can add water 1/4th cup or less than that.
- Cook the spinanch with green chilles, for few minutes, till it is soft and well cooked. It will take 5minutes or more than that at medium flame.
- When it is cooled, blend it into a smooth paste. Keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a vessel, when it gets warm, add onion paste and stir for 3 to 4min.
- Now add ginger and garlic paste, mix it well.
- After 2min, add all dry spices except kasoori methi, chopped tomatoes and roast for few minutes, till it is soft.
- Roast for 4min, till tomatoes are soft, then add tomato puri and mix well, cook for 2min.
- Now add mutton pieces mix well and roast for few minutes in the onion gravy.
- After 5min, add water and cook for few minutes by closing the lid.
- In between mix the gravy, you can see that the mutton is tender and the onion mixture are cooked well with other spices.
- When oil is separated from the gravy add, few spinach leaves and mix well.
- When the spinach leaves are cooked in the gravy add, spinanch puri , salt and mix well.
- Add kasoori methi and mix well, close the lid and cook for few minutes 10-12min and switch it off.
- When it is cooked well , spinach puri is well blended with mutton and other spices.
- Serve it with roti (chapathi), naan, plain rice or jeera rice.
- When you grind spinach for puree, can add fresh red chillies or green chillies and tomato puri also, mix well and blend well.
- I have added half spinach leaves and half spinach puri in the gravy, if you want can add only spinach puri also.
- I have added baby spinach leaves as a whole, but you can chop it or slice it and put it in the gravy.
- If the gravy thickens can add more water and cook till your consistency comes.
- I have added in this garam masala also, but while frying the onion paste you can add green cardamom – 2, cloves – 3, cinnamon stick – 2, it is optional.
- When the mutton is tender in the onion and tomato mixture, you can serve it with plain rice or roti (chapathi).
- If you want can avoid spinach and spinach puree, as this gravy tastes really good as any curry, just add kasoori methi at last and cook.
- I have used babby spinach, you can use ordinary spinanch also.