Nam prik pao chicken with crispy noodles
Nam prik pao is a very tasty accompaniment which goes well with soups like tom yum goong (hot and sour prawn soup) or any tom yum soup or as a dip. It is used in noodles and also in fried rice. This time I prepared crispy noodles with Nam prik pao chicken with some vegetables, you can add paneer or prawns for a change instead of chicken. The crispy noodles will give a crunchy bite with spicy and sweet sauce (Nam prik pao). Serve as a starter or main course. I have prepared the Nam prik pao chicken as per taste, spicy, you can make it mild. Instead of boiled noodles I added crispy fried noodles, which I have used in American chopsuey dish.
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Chicken – 100 gms or more
- Nam prik pao – 4 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Chilli flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Spring onions – 3
- Green chillies (sliced) – 2
- Cabbage – handful
- Cauliflower – 4 to 5 florets
- Carrot (julienne cut) – 1/2
- Yellow capsicum – quarter
- Red capsicum – quarter
- Spring onions (white part) – 3
- Pepper powder – a pinch
- Light soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Onion (chopped or sliced) – 1/2
- Fried noodles (cooked) – handful or 1 1/2 cup
- Cut or slice the vegetables as you like, in one shape like carrot sticks or length wise type, keep it ready.
- Cut or chop the spring onion, green chillies and cut the onion into chunk size.
- I have fried the noodles in advance and kept it ready. You can fry it more and store in air tight container and use whenever required.
- Preheat the vessel or wok, add 1 tbsp oil. When hot, add cabbage, cauliflower, white part of spring onions, sauté well for 3 minutes, but keep it crunchy.
- Add capsicum (red and yellow) and light soya sauce, sugar, salt if needed, mix well. Toss for 2 mins and transfer to a plate.
- In the same vessel or wok, add 2 tbsp of oil. When hot, add chicken pieces, sauté for a few minutes until it is about half cooked.
- Add chilli flakes or crushed chilli powder, mix well. Cook the chicken for about 2 to 3 mins.
- Add 2 tbsp of Nam prik pao sauce, sugar 1/2 tsp and cook for 2 mins, until it is blended with chicken. Then add green part of the spring onions and green chillies (sliced), sauté for 1 min. Keep stirring, the chicken will be almost cooked.
- Add the vegetables which were kept aside and the onion chunks, with sugar again and a pinch of pepper powder if you like, mix well, and toss for 1 to 2min.
- Add crispy fried noodles like I fried for American chopsuey, add as per the requirement, mix well, and until it is well blended with the chicken and the vegetables.
- Add again 2tbsp of Nam prik pao sauce as per taste, and mix well, cook for 2 to 3 min, by tossing it. I want my noodles to be well blended with the sauce not dry type, so I added more sauce, but it is as per your taste. Switch off.
- Serve hot and enjoy this Nam prik pao sauce chicken with crispy noodles, which is spicy but has the flavour of dry shrimps too.
- Add the vegetables and the noodles as per the sauce quantity you add, so that vegetables and noodles can be blended well with Nam prik pao chicken sauce.
- You can fry the vegetables plain and add soya sauce in the chicken and just mix the crunchy vegetables while cooking.
- Add the Nam prik pao sauce as per your taste, as my sauce tastes spicy, sweet and shrimp flavour also with tamarind taste.
- You can add chilli sauce, sesame oil, and tomato ketchup in the noodles while cooking but you will not get the taste of Nam prik pao sauce taste.
- Instead of noodles, you can just serve the chicken and vegetables or add the Nam prik pao sauce in rice and make it as fried rice or on the fried egg. I have used this sauce in my Tom yum or Tom yam soup (Thai spicy soup) in both chicken and prawns, it tasted so delicious.