Pan fried lamb (mutton) chops
This is a dry pan fry lamb (mutton) chops, which you can enjoy as a starter or as a side dish with your meal. The lamb chops are marinated twice to give much flavour and taste. These lamb chops have a tangy and sour taste apart from other freshly roasted ingredients. There are front chops and back chops. You can use either of these, I have used back chops. In restaurants, lamb chops have become very popular and they serve it as a starter. You can even make it at home and enjoy.
Preparation time: 20 mins (excluding time to marinate)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Cuisine: North Indian
Serves: 3 to 4
- Lamb chops(Mutton) - 600 gms
- Kashmir Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Crushed chilli flakes or powder – 1tsp
- Green chilli - 1tsp to 2tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Curd (thick) – 1/2cup
- Vinegar - 1 tbsp to 11/2tbsp
- Lemon juice – 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 3tbsp (chopped)
- Cumin seeds - 2 tsp
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- Oil/butter/ghee for frying
- Take a wider bowl; add ginger garlic paste, chilli powder and salt mix well. Keep it closed in the fridge for 30minutes to 1hr.
- Add all the ingredients in a separate bowl, mix well from crushed chilli powder to roasted spices, and mix all. Then mix the mutton chops and refrigerate for 6hrs to overnight by closing it with cling flim or a lid.
- Preheat a non-stick pan on medium flame. Add oil1tbsp and butter /ghee1tbsp, when it gets warm, place 4 to 5 the lamb chops and allow cooking on medium heat for 7minutes on each side.
- Then turn back again cook on medium to low flame for 7minutes each side.
- In between add oil 2tsp to 3tsp and check the sides.
- Turn the mutton chops in between so that they are evenly cooked.
- When the mutton chops are cooked and liquid gets absorbed, place it on a plate.
- Serve hot pan fry lamb chops as a starter with any salad and sauce. Garnish with few coriander leaves, onions and lemon wedges.
There are two marinations for lamb chops:
- You can cook the mutton chops on simmer by closing the lid.
- Can reduce chilli as per taste.
- Cook as many lamb chops as per room in your pan, cook in batches if necessary.
- Cook lamb chops as you like medium or fully cooked.