Mango rice is also known as manga sadam in Tamil and maamidikaaya annam or pulihora in Telugu. Pulihora means sour rice; it can be lemon rice or tamarind rice or mango rice. Mango rice is made with raw mango. Raw mango rice is easy to make like lemon rice. Whenever mango season comes mango rice, mango pickle, mango chutney and many more is made with raw mangoes. I love food which is sour, tangy and spicy, so I have added raw mango as per my taste.
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 3/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 15
- Hing (asafoetida) – 1/4 tsp or a big pinch
- Chana dal (Bengal gram) – 1 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal (split and skinned black lentils, optional) – 1 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Dry red chillies – 5
- Green chillies (split into half) – 3
- Ginger (chopped) – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts (split or chopped) – 15
- Peanuts (roasted) – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Raw mango – 300 gms or 2 cups
- Basmati Rice (raw) – 1 cup
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – 1/3 cup
- Cut green chillies in to half-length wise and grate raw mango and keep it aside.
- Split cashew nuts and roast peanuts, keep it aside.
- Cook the rice by adding salt and keep it aside.
- Heat the vessel with oil, when hot add mustard seeds chana dal, urad dal, curry leaves, dry chillies, stir well, for 30seconds.
- Add hing, ginger, cashew nuts and green chillies cook for 1min, then add raw mango and turmeric powder, stir well cook for 2 to 3 min on medium heat.
- Reduce the heat and add cooked rice, mix well while mixing, add coriander leaves, close the lid and simmer for 5 to 8minutes.switch it off.
- Serve with any fried potatoes (potatoes) or just plain potato crisps; it goes well, with any dry side dish.
- When the mango mixture is ready, add the rice as per its quantity and your taste.
- According to your sourness taste, add the grated raw mango and rice.