Chilli chicken has become every ones favourite and is popular in Indo-Chinese cuisine. In every restaurant and fast food in India we found this dish and tastes different in each place. Vegetarians can use cauliflower and paneer.
I have cooked chicken dishes in so many variations, but still craving for more variations and changes and want to know the outcome of taste. I think it is a never ending process. In this chilli chicken I have marinated the chicken and then fried separately by dipping all the chicken in the batter. You can use your own ingredients can make changes and for the sauce also. I like tangy and spicy food, so I always cook according to my taste.
- Chicken (cut into small pieces or nuggets) - 300 gms
- Light soya sauce - 1 tsp
- Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Salt as required
- Ajinomoto - 1/4 tsp
- Pepper powder - a pinch
- Corn flour - 3 tsp
- Maida (plain flour) - 2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Pepper powder - a pinch
- Baking powder or sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) - a pinch (optional)
- Egg – 1
- Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
- Dry chillies - 3
- Green chillies – 3 to 4 chopped finely
- Garlic – 2 to 3 crushed and chopped finely
- Ajinomoto - a pinch (optional)
- Dark soya sauce - 1 tbsp
- Ketchup or tomato sauce - 5 tbsp
- Pepper - a pinch
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Crushed chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water - 1/3 cup
- Cornstarch – 1/3 cup (corn flour 1/2 to 1 tsp + a little less than 1/3 cup water)
- Spring onions (chopped) - 3
- Capsicum (green) – 1/2
- Capsicum (red) – 1/2
- Cut the capsicum in square cut and keep it aside.
- Chop the spring onions both white and green part.
- Take a bowl, and marinate the chicken with soya sauce, vinegar and other ingredients for 1/2 hr.
- Take a another bowl and add all ingredients for the batter, first add all dry ingredients and then add chicken marinate and at last egg and mix well, the mixture should not be too watery. Or if you want can make separate batter and just dip each chicken piece in the batter and fry it in deep oil.
- Chicken should be well coated with the batter.
- Deep fry the chicken pieces and keep it aside. As the pieces are small, it will get cooked soon, cook till it is cooked well, do not over cook also. After cooking, drain it on the kitchen paper.
- Heat oil in a wider pan or any vessel, add garlic stir it quickly, then green chillies and spring onions (2), stir it, after 15 sec, add all sauces, including sugar, stir quickly so that it is not burnt.
- After adding all sauces, add crushed chilli powder and water and cook till the sauce is cooked well. It will not take much time.
- After sometime (5 to8 min), when the sauce is cooked well, the rawness of all ingredients has gone, add spring onions (1) and capsicum, mix well.
- Now add cornstarch and mix well, and let it cook for 2min, so that rawness of cornstarch is gone and the sauce becomes thick.
- If the sauce is getting dry, add few tables’ spoons of water and cook it. Check with salt and also add a pinch of pepper powder.
- Now add chicken pieces at last and mix well with the sauce for 2min.
- When the chicken pieces are coated well in the sauce, add few chopped spring onions at last and switch it off.
- Serve with any fried rice or serve it as a starter.
- If you want you can avoid ajinomoto and soda also.
- Check with the seasoning. I mean salt.
- I like spicy food, so I have added crushed chilli powder; if you want you can avoid it.
- My batter mixture became little thin but it has to be nor very thin nor thick, it should be like frying any fritters.
- I added capsicum in the beginning itself, before adding cornstarch, if you want first add cornstarch and cook it then at last add capsicum and chicken pieces.