Bhindi fry (okra fry) is very famous in north and south places, but it is prepared differently in each house. In our home I fry it as I do for other vegetables stir fry (Poriyal), but in this we have to keep stiring Bhindi(Okra) as it can stick to the vessel because of its gluey and sticky texture. Bhindi(Okra) fry is my brothers and my mother in laws favourite, of course me to, we all love it.
Here in UK, I get the frozen and cut pieces, where my cutting work is reduced but whenever you buy Bhindi(Okra) , buy small or medium size Bhindi (Okra) and try to break at the end, it easily breaks , it means fresh, I often see ladies doing that in the market or simply pick up tender and fresh ones.
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – 15
- Garlic cloves (crushed, sliced) – 3
- Bhindi (Okra) – 300 gms
- Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh grated coconut – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Wash the bhindi (okra), dry with a clean cloth or tissue paper and cut into 1 inch pieces. I have used frozen ready cut bhindi instead.
- Heat the kadai or non-stick kadai and add oil. When hot, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, dry chillies and curry leaves. Let it splutter and then add garlic cloves. Stir for about 10 seconds.
- Add Bhindi (Okra) and stir well. Cook on a medium flame without closing the lid.
- After about 2 mins, add turmeric powder and mix well. Cook until it is browned and that gluey texture has gone.
- As soon as the sticky and gluey texture has gone from the Okra, add salt and cook until it is done.
- Add grated coconut towards the end. Mix well and cook for a further 2 mins and switch the heat off.
- Serve with plain rice and dal.
- If the lid is closed and cooked, the bhindi (okra) texture will be soft and moist, not dry and crispy.
- Add salt in the end. Adding salt in the beginning will make the okra to leave its water and will not lose its sticky texture soon.
- After seasoning, you can add 1 small chopped onion and fry until transparent before adding the bhindi (okra). This will give a good taste as well.
- You can also add a small potato chopped finely and then fry together. This gives a good taste too.