Beetroot ka halwa (chukandar ka halwa)
Beetroot is a very nutritious vegetable and good for health. It is used in salads, stir fries (porriyal in tamil), soups and even sweets. Beetroot ka halwa I have prepared in the style of gajar ka halwa, without using mewa or khoya. khoya or mewa is used to enhance richness and flavour in sweets. When I was making beetroot halwa, I made gajar (carrot) ka halwa also, can view the recipe. The preparation method is the same but taste and colour differs. Can use any nuts like almonds or pistachios as per your taste. Beetroot halwa is cooked in milk, by thickening it on lower flame or medium flame, by stirring it continuously, so that it does not stick to the bottom. So it is cooked at low flame, but in between can cook at medium flame.
- Beetroot (grated) – 1 1/3 cup
- Milk – 1 1/3 cup (220 to 250 ml)
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 7
- Peel beetroot, grate and keep it aside.
- Preheat the non stick vessel or any kadai, add 1tbsp ghee, when warm add grated beetroot. Stir or roast well till its water dries, for first 2min on medium flame and 3min on simmer flame.
- It is roasted in ghee, so that it absorbs its flavour well.
- Add milk, mix well, cook till it thickens on medium flame and in between simmer flame (low flame), for 10 to 12 min.
- In the beginning can cook on medium flame, but as soon as it starts thickening, it will stick easily to the bottom and can burn, so reduce it to lower flame(simmer).
- Keep stirring, so that it does not stick to the vessel.
- As soon as milk gets dry, thickened and all the liquid is absorbed add sugar, cardamom powder, ghee1/2tbsp, mix well.
- It becomes little liquid, as sugar dissolves, cook on simmer for 10 to 15min, and keep stirring.
- While stirring add ghee 1/2tbsp, little by little in between.
- Beetroot halwa after 10min, starts leaving the pan or vessel, switch it off as soon as it reaches its consistency.
- Garnish with chopped roasted cashew nuts in ghee on beetroot halwa, serve warm.
- Can add more grated beetroot (1/2cup), for little drier halwa.
- Sugar and ghee, are added according to my taste, can reduce or increase as per your taste.
- View my carrot halwa, the same procedure.
- Instead of grating, I coarsely grind them in my mixer, which becomes more fast and easy, but it is up to your choice.