Appam another famous south Indian breakfast very popular in Chennai and Kerala. Appam has a thin and crispy edge but thick and soft centre. The ingredients which go into appam are different from house to house and also state to state like in Kerala and Chennai. I got this recipe from one of my friend, which I felt it is easy and tasted good. Appam goes well with mutton or chicken korma, chicken or mutton stew, vegetable Stew, Kadala curry, Chutney or Sambar and the best part is with coconut milk (Sugar and Green Cardamom powder). I sometimes eat this with my paya curry (lambs trotter curry). While making Appam, we need Coconut Milk, I use Maggi Coconut Milk powder or tinned Coconut Milk, can use fresh ones also, but I have used both Maggi Coconut Milk powder and tinned Coconut Milk. The Coconut Milk should not be thick or thin for grinding .There are varieties of Appam like plain Appam (Vella Appam), Egg Appam, Coconut Milk Appam and many more. I will call this as Coconut Milk Appam, as for grinding we need to use Coconut Milk not water.
- Basmati Rice or Raw Rice – 3 cups
- Cooked Rice – 1 cup
- Coconut Milk (as per requirement) – 2 1/2 cups
- Sugar - 6 tsp
- Dry Yeast – 3/4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 1/2 tsp
- Warm water (as per yeast instruction) – 1/3 to 1/2 cup
- Soak basmati rice or raw rice for 5 hrs to overnight.
- Add yeast, sugar in the warm water (Luke warm), mix well and keep it aside.
- The mixture starts bubbling and looks like cloudy. The yeast is activitated.
- Grind the rice, yeast mixture, coconut milk, cooked rice all together in batches in a mixer with few tsp of sugar, till it forms a batter consistency like for Dosa but not thick.
- Put it in a big container as it has to be Fermented.
- Keep it near warm place or near the heater in winter and after few hours or overnight, can see it has fermentated well.
- The batter is frothy with bubbly texture on top.
- If the batter is thick add coconut milk and make it thin, the consistency should be such that it should swirl round the appam pan well.
- Heat the appam pan, pour a ladle of batter and just swirl it in clockwise direction, so it spreads evenly around the pan. You can see the holes in the appam.
- Close the lid and cook on medium heat for 1 to 2min.
- For crispy edges, cook for sometime more.
- If it is a non stick pan, it will come out easily, appam will start peeling away from its edges remove it with spatula and place it on the plate.
- The appam looks like a wider cup, thick in the center.
- You can make Egg appam , as soon as you put the batter put one Egg in the middle of Appam and cook by closing the lid. You can sprinkle some salt and Pepper powder on the Egg.
- Serve it with sweet Coconut Milk or Vegetable Stew.
Making the batter
- Do not add all Coconut Milk at a time, in batches little by little as per the batter requirement add and grind.
- Instead of Coconut Milk, add grated Coconut and water and grind, it is called Plain Appam or Vella Appam.
- Sometimes I sprinkle Idli Podi (dry powder) on the cooked Appam.