Stew is cooked with the vegetables or meat or chicken on simmer, low flame. So that the ingredients are well blended to give a delicious taste.
Vegetable stew is a very famous dish in kerela and is served with famous Kerelan breakfast Appam (rice and coconut milk pancake). Vegetable stew is a mixture of mixed vegetables cooked in a coconut milk, flavoured with cardamom powder, which is delicious and easy to make also.
In this vegetable stew no much spice are involved but yet it is so delicious, simple goes well with coconut appam or ordinary appam.
I had this delicious vegetable stew, in my friend’s house, who is a wonderful cook. She served this delicious vegetable stew with soft and spongy appam. After having this both delicious recipe, now aim making at my home, when she shared her both lovely recipes.
In this stew, I have used the vegetables, which are easily available to you. Can add the same vegetables, which you add in the avial (a coconut and curd mixture dish). I have used vegetable oil, but in this dish coconut oil is added. Can adjust the quantity of vegetables according to your taste. In this I have used coconut milk powder and made coconut milk according to the instructions given, can use fresh coconut milk from the coconut or tinned coconut. In the vegetable stew, while cooking, first thin coconut milk is added then in the end thick coconut milk is added. In this I have added garam masala also, which is optional.
- Oil – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Shallots (sambar onions, chopped) – 12 to 15
- Green chillies (slit) – 4
- Ginger (chopped) – 1 tsp
- Potato (medium size) – 1
- Carrots – 2
- Peas – 1/4 cup
- Drumsticks (optional) – 1
- Thin Coconut milk – 1 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Thick Coconut milk – 3/4 cup
- Green Cardamom powder – 2 pinches
- Garam masala powder (cloves, cinnamon stick, green cardamom) – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper powder – a pinch
- Cut the vegetables, into small shapes or chunks you like.
- I have used maggi coconut milk powder, for thin coconut milk, I have used coconut milk powder 1/2 cup and warm water 1 1/2 cup, mix both, keep it aside.
- For thick coconut milk, mix coconut milk powder and water according to the instructions.
- Preheat the vessel with oil; add chopped shallots and sauté for 2 to 3 mins, till soft and transparent.
- Add ginger, sauté for 1min, and then add carrot, drumsticks and other all vegetables sauté for 2 mins.
- Add thin coconut milk and water, mix well and cook till the vegetables are cooked well, by closing the lid.
- When the vegetables are cooked, smash few potato pieces with stirring spoon, it will get mixed with the stew, make the sauce (curry) thick, gives you a good taste.
- You can see that, the vegetables are cooked well, the stock of vegetables are mixed well with the coconut milk.
- Now add the peas, garam masala, pepper powder, green cardamom powder and the thick coconut milk, cook it on simmer 10 to 15 mins by closing the lid.
- Serve hot with coconut appam or ordinary appam.
- Can add coriander powder also 2 tsp, but I have not added in it.
- If the drumstick is very long then 1 is enough, but it is up to you.
- When you simmer the curry, there should be enough liquid in the vessel. After simmering it forms a good consistency.
- With the same ingredients, can use potatoes, beans, arvi (small colocasia or taro root), it goes well with mutton/lamb or prawns.
- For vegetarians, just avoid the meat and cook with the same ingredients.