Turi ka saalan
Ridge guard (turi) is one of my favourite vegetable and whenever I make ridge guard curry, I add mutton/lamb or prawns, it goes well. This time I have made only ridge guard curry. Ridge guard (turi) you can make this curry as I shown in the ridge guard and mutton curry recipe. You can cook this curry either in a cooker or vessel. In my childhood, I used to have it with chapathi (roti) or rice.
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Cloves – 3
- Green cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1(2inch)
- Onion (chopped) – 1
- Tomato (chopped) – 2
- Ginger and garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 1 cup
- Ridge guard (sliced) - 2
- Salt - as per taste
- Slice and chop all the vegetables and keep it aside.
- Preheat the vessel with oil, when hot add whole spices and onion, cook till transparent and soft.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, sauté for few seconds, and then add all dry spices, and tomatoes, sauté for 1 to 2 min in the oil.
- Add water and cook till all the ingredients cook well and give a curry (gravy) texture, oil starts leaving the curry.
- Add the ridge guard in the curry (gravy), cook for 20 to 25min, on medium flame, till it is cooked well and becomes soft and simmer it for 10min.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker, first roast onion and tomato with all spices, add water and ridge guard, close the lid, cook till 3 to 4 whistles come, switch it off.
- Open the lid, and simmer for 10min, oil starts leaving the ridge guard (turi) curry.
- Serve it with chapathi (roti), or plain rice with a drizzle of ghee on it.
- Can reduce chilli as per your taste.
- Can add a pinch of garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.
- Add water, if the gravy gets dry as per the requirement.