Turi aur jhinga ka saalan (ridge gourd and prawns curry)
Ridge gourd (Turi ) and prawn curry is famous in our family also known as beerakaya royyala kura in telugu (Andhra Pradesh) , as how we like to add vegetables in lamb/mutton, the combination of prawns and vegetables also go well but only with specific vegetables like potato, ridge gourd, drumstick, peas, beans and other vegetables, which suits well with prawns(shrimps). I have already prepared lamb/mutton and ridge gourd curry (turi aur gosht ka saalan in hindi and urdu and beerakaya mamsam kura in telugu) but the ingredients and the method slightly changes, as prawns cooks in minutes and I have added Chinese salt (msg) (optional) , which is very unusual but want to see, how it enhances the taste, just for a change in the curry I added. Ridge gourd is like spinach when cooked its quantity reduces to half. This prawns and ridge guard curry is semi gravy, that is very little curry can be seen or if you want can roast the curry and make like bhuna ridge gourd and prawn curry, that is frying only but the curry will be thick and attached to each other. I have prepared ridge gourd curry (beerakaya kura in telugu, turi ka saalan in hindi and urdu) and prawn curry separately and combining together.
- Oil – 5 to 6 tbsp
- Onion – 200 gms
- Tomato – 200 gms
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 5
- Green cardamom – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 2
- Chinese salt – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Water – 1 cup
- Ridge gourd (Turi) – 400 gms
- Coriander leaves (chopped) – handful
- Oil – 2 to 3 tbsp
- Prawns – 250 gms
- Onion (small, chopped) – 1
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt - as required
- Water – 1/4 cup
Ridge guard curry
- Preheat the vessel with oil, when hot add cloves, green cardamom, cinnamon stick and onion, sauté till it is soft and golden colour.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, sauté for 2min and add chopped tomatoes and all the spices (powders) except garam masala, sauté for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add water immediately.
- Cook till all the spices are cooked and tomatoes have become soft and formed like a base curry, for 5 to 8min by closing the lid.
- Add ridge gourd (turi, beerakaya) and cook for 15min by closing the lid, till it is cooked well, mix in between.
- When the ridge gourd is cooked and forms like a curry, simmer for 10min switch it off.
- Preheat the vessel with oil, when hot add onion, ginger and garlic paste and all the remaining ingredients except prawns, sauté for 2min and add water for the base curry.
- Cook the spices till the rawness of spices is gone and the liquid is reduced, add prawns (when the prawns are added, it starts leaving water) mix and cook for 5min, on medium flame without closing the lid.
- When the prawns are pink and cooked and the oil has left on the prawns, switch off.
- Transfer the prawns with its liquid (if left) to the ridge gourd curry, mix well.
- Cook on medium flame, if liquid is more, till you get your consistancy or just cook for 3 to 4 min on medium flame and add chopped coriander leaves and garam masla, mix, simmer for 10min by closing the lid. Switch it off and let it rest for 5min.
- Serve hot with plain rice or chapathi (roti) and dal(tomato dal, palak dal, green chillies dal) with a drizzle of ghee on top of plain rice and dal, the combination goes well for me.
Ridge gourd curry
Combining ridge gourd and prawn curry
- You can add coriander powder and cumin powder also for the taste and adjust with the spices to make it mild or spicy.
- If the liquid is more in the curry, cook for some time till you get that curry consistency.
- If you want the prawns and ridge gourd to be like bhuna ghost (semi fried curry means thick curry or gravy will be attached to the lamb or vegetables), cook till all the liquid is absorbed in the ridge gourd and prawn curry, combine and roast well by adding little oil around it to get that glaze (restaurant style).
- Add water as per the curry consistency you required, as ridge gourd (beerakaya, turi) starts leaving water and also prawns.