Saag paneer with colourful stuffed patties
Saag paneer is spinach based gravy in which I have added paneer pieces and also I have used my remaining colourful stuffed patties, which were left in the fridge. I made it in the style of palak paneer, as there are so many variations in the gravy. I was having palak and paneer in the fridge which gave me the idea to make saag paneer or palak paneer and also for my remaining colourful stuffed patties. You can always try new things, by adding your own spices. You can add the colourful patties in any gravy, like coconut based sauce or paneer pasanda sauce.
- Stuffed colourful patties – 4 to 5
- Palak leaves – 350 gms
- Green chilli – 3 to 4
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry chillies – 4
- Curry leaves - 15
- Onion (big, chopped) – 1
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Kitchen king masala – 1 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Tomato puree – 2 tbsp
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Tomato (chopped) – 1/2
- Paneer (cut in cubes) – 200 gms
- Cream – 1/3 cup
Seasoning or tadka
- Boil spinach and green chillies for 12 to 15min on simmer flame by closing the lid. Can add water if it requires. Let it cool.
- Ground the spinach mixture with its remaining liquid and 1/2 cup water to a smooth paste and keep it ready.
- Preheat the vessel with oil and butter, when hot, add mustard seeds, let it pop, add dry chillies, curry leaves, stir for 30sec, add onions and fry till it is soft and transparent. (In picture the dry chillies are more but it is not spicy).
- Add ginger and garlic paste and all dry powders sauté for few seconds.
- Add little water 1/3 cup, tomato puree (concentrated), mix well and sauté for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add the spinach paste and water 1/2 cup mix well, close the lid and cook for 15 to 20 mins on medium heat, till all the spices are cooked well with the spinach paste.
- Stir in between, but be careful it can splutter on you.
- When it is cooked, it changes its colour to dark green and the spinach gravy starts leaving oil slowly.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and little water, if the gravy is thick, simmer for 10min by closing the lid.
- After 10 mins add cream, simmer for 5 mins and switch it off.
- If adding paneer pieces add with cream and cook for 5 mins, so that paneer pieces are well blended with the spinach curry (saag).
- While serving, heat the stuffed colourful patties and place on the spinach curry and serve it with naan or roti.
Seasoning and cooking saag
- Add water according to the gravy consistency you want.
- Can add or less the spices according to your taste.
- At last I added chopped tomatoes, which is optional, and tomato puri can be added after spinach paste is added.