Mutton chettinadu curry
Chettinand curry a south Indian spicy curry which goes well with our south Indian break fasts like idli, dosa, set dosa, aapam, parotta , puri and chapathi(roti). It is different from other curries as shallots and aniseed (suanf) gives a sweet taste and where as whole spices and pepper seeds the heat. Chettinand curry is prepared differently in each house and every one has its own recipe. I have cooked this curry in a pressure cooker, can cook in any vessel.
- Oil – 1/3 cup
- Curry leaves – 15
- Onion (big, sliced or chopped) – 1
- Tomato (big, sliced or chopped) – 1
- Water – 1 1/2 to 2 cups
- Salt - as per taste
- Shallots (sambar onions) – 100 gms
- Aniseeds (saunf) – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper corns – 1/2 tsp
- Cloves – 5
- Cinnamon stick (1 inch size) – 1
- Lamb/mutton – 600 gms
- Ginger and garlic paste – 2 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander – 2 to 3 tsp
- Coriander leaves – few (chopped)
Paste (first marinade)
- Chop the onions and tomatoes, keep it aside.
- Add all the first marinade ingredients in a mixer and grind to a paste.
- Take bowl, add all the ingredients for the marinate 1 and 2, mix all with salt and refrigerate for 3hrs to overnight.
- Preheat the pressure cooker or any vessel with oil, when hot adds onion and curry leaves, sauté till soft and transparent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till soft and smashed well.
- Add the marinated meat and water, as required for the meat to cook and for the gravy.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook till the meat is cooked, 3 to 4whistles or as per your cooker instructions and switch off.
- After sometime (the pressure is released), open the lid, can see that meat is cooked and curry has left oil, but still the curry has to be thickened. (If in a vessel, cook till it thickens).
- Mix well with salt and cook for few minutes till the curry thicken as per your consistency.
- Add coriander leaves and simmer the flame for 10 to 12min, switch it off.
- Serve with idli, dosa, chapathi, parotta.
- If the curry is very thick and dry can add water as per the requirement.