Mushroom pulao a flavoured one pot rice dish fragrant , delicious, tasty and full of aroma with whole spices. In this mushroom rice I have used dagad phool (pathar ka phool in hindi or black stone flower), which gives a very good aroma to our mushroom rice and taste. I have used other few spices; just want to keep that mushroom flavour more. I loved this mushroom pulao, only raitha is enough, which will go very well, or any side dish vegetarian or non-vegetarian. I prepared prawn chukka or prawn varuval (semi dry prawn fry) and boondi raitha.
Mushrooms are low in calories, fat-free, cholesterol-free and very low in sodium, yet they provide important nutrients, including selenium, potassium, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin D and more.
Prepare this mushroom pulao, you will love it no need of any side dish, just one pot meal with simple raitha.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian
- Oil – 3tbsp
- Butter – 3tbsp
- Onion – 1(big) or 130gms
- Dill seeds or black cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Mushroom – 300gms or 20 medium sizes
- Pepper powder (coarse) – 1tsp
- Lemon – 1(small) or 2tbsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/3rd cup (chopped)
- Basmati rice – 300gms or 1 3/4th cup
- Water – 21/2 cup or 2 3/4th cup
- Star anise – 3
- Dagad phool (black stone flower) – 2tbsp
- Cloves – 6 (small)
- Bay leaves – 3(big, torn)
- Cinnamon stick – 1 (2 inches, thick)
- Slice the onion, chop or slice mushroom, medium size as when cooked it shrinks.
- Soak basmati rice in water for 1/2hr and drain it, keep it aside.
- Preheat the vessel with oil and butter, when hot add dill seeds, and all whole spices and onion, sauté until it is soft and transparent and light golden colour.
- Add chopped mushrooms, suate until it is soft and shrinks. Mushroom cooks fast, while cooking it starts leaving water (moisture), cook mushroom until it is soft but still its liquid (moisture) is there.
- Add basmati rice, sauté with the mushroom in its liquid (moisture, so that the rice can absorb mushroom flavour) for 7 to 8min on medium or simmer flame, add pepper powder cook for 2 to 3min. Roast until no liquid is left, rice colour changes to dark brown colour.
- Add boiled water and salt; allow the rice to cook until liquid is reduced and still some liquid is left.
- At this point add lemon juice mix well, simmer the flame, close the lid and cook for 12 to 15 min, switch off, let it rest until rice is fluffy and cooked well.
- Cook until the rice absorbs all water and only little liquid is left and rice is almost cooked. You can see small holes from the rice will be seen.
- Simmer flame by closing the lid for 10min, switch off.
- Garnish with few coriander leaves and serve hot with boondi raitha.
- Serve with any side dish like prawn fry or raitha.
- Roast the rice with onion and mushroom mixture until all the liquid is absorbed without crushing mushroom and rice.
- Chop mushroom as required but it will shrink when cooked, so chop it medium or bigger size.
- You can add other whole spices like green cardamom, black cardamom, cumin seeds and cinnamon stick also.
- Rice has to be roasted with mushroom, so that rice can absorb much flavour of mushroom.