Mushroom and peas curry is very famous in many restaurants, it goes well with Naan, Roti(chapathi), Pulao or Jeera rice. You can make this curry in advance, when friends or guests visit your house or can prepare for your family. It is not spicy but mild, aromatic, delicious, creamy texture. It is not necessary that you need to prepare Butter Paneer (Makhani Paneer), or creamy Dal(dal makhani) every time, can prepare mushroom and peas curry which is aromatic and I have used closed cup mushroom. I have used cashew nut and almond both, can use any one also but need to soak in hot water for few minutes. I have used both milk and cream, for creamy sauce.
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Green cardamom – 3
- Clove - 3
- Onion – 2 or 400 gms
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tbsp
- Tomato puree (concentrated) – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Kashmir chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Milk – 1 cup
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Cashew nuts (kaju) – 10
- Almonds (badam) – 10
- Curd – 4 tbsp
- Water – 2 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Mushroom – 250 gms
- Peas – 3/4 cup
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Kasoori methi – 1 1/2 tsp
- Single cream (optional) – 1/4 cup
- Salt - as required
- Cut mushrooms and keep it aside.
- Soak almonds and cashew nuts in hot water for 20 to 30 mins, peel the skin of the almonds and keep it ready.
- Make a paste of almonds and cashew nuts, with 1/3 cup of water and keep it ready.
- Heat the vessel with oil, when hot add onions (sliced), green cardamom and cloves. Saute for 5 to 8 mins or until soft and golden brown.
- Let the onions cool and then grind it to a fine paste. You can add a little water.
- Pre-heat the same vessel in which onions were fried. Add 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter and the onion paste with 1/2 cup of water> Mix well.
- When it starts to boil, add ginger and garlic paste, tomato puree, chilli powder and coriander powder, one by one. Mix well and saute for 4 to 5 mins on a medium flame. Keep stirring.
- Add 3/4 cup water and milk. Mix well and let it cook for 5 to 7 mins with the lid closed. Stir in between.
- You can see that the texture of the curry is slowly changing.
- Add curd and mushroom. Mix well and cook for 10 mins with the lid closed. The consistency of the gravy thickens.
- Add cashew nuts and almonds paste, sugar, peas, salt, 1 tbsp butter and 1/2 cup water. Mix well and cook for 5 mins until the rawness of paste is gone.
- Add cream, kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) and garam masala. Stir well. Close the lid and simmer for 5 to 8 mins and switch off. The curry (gravy or sauce) is smooth, creamy, aromatic and delicious to eat.
- Serve hot with Naan or Pulao rice.
- You need to be careful when adding milk, cream and curd. Always lower the flame and add.
- Add water as per the curry consistency you want.
- Crush kasoori methi in your palm and add to the curry (gravy).
- You can also add paneer or vegetable koftas for this curry (gravy).