Matar paneer a popular main course dish of north Indians and every ones favourite and popular through out in India and mostly ordered dish in restaurants. For vegetarians paneer is a must in their parties and in their daily meal too but not often. Each house prepares this dish differently and in their own style. I have made it myself so many variations like in creamy sauce, coconut gravy and many more. I have used tomato puri(concentrated) and kasmir chilli powder for colour. It is easy to prepare and can prepare for guests or friends when invited for lunch or dinner. This matar paneer is so delicious and creamy that you will prepare again and again, for your family. serve this with delicious soft Naans like garlic or coriander Naan or plain Naan.
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Butter – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Onion – 175 gms or 1
- Cloves – 4
- Green cardamom – 3
- Cinnamon stick (1 inch pieces) – 2
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Poppy seeds (kas-kas, optional) - 1 tsp
- Kashmir chilli powder – 1 1/2 tsp
- Tomato puree (concentrated) – 2 tbsp
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves) – 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Add raw onion slices and make a paste, can add little water to grind, keep it ready.
- Cut paneer into pieces, keep it ready.
- Preheat the vessel or kadai with oil, when hot add all whole spices one by one, sauté for 30sec, keep the flame medium.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and kas- kas sauté for 30sec, till it is lightly roasted in oil.
- Add onion paste , sauté till it is lightly brown, thick and cooked well, it will take 5 to 8min on medium flame, keep stirring (in between lower the flame and cook so that it is not burnt).
- Add chilli, tomato puree, stir quickly, so that it is not burnt, sauté 30sec, then add water 1/2cup and mix well.
- Cook till it forms like a gravy (curry) consistency and oil starts leaving the sides.
- Add peas cook for3min on medium flame; add paneer pieces and water again 70ml , mix well.
- After 3min, add cream, butter, kasoor methi (dry fenugreek leaves), salt as per taste, cook for 10min by closing the lid on simmer flame, in between stir it.
- The paneer and matar pieces are well blended in the creamy sauce.
- Serve hot with any naan and pulav rice.
- Tastes good without adding cream, can switch it off as soon as paneer is added, it will be semi gravy (with little sauce) matar paneer.
- Add water if the sauce (curry) becomes thick.
- Crush kasoori methi in your hand and then put in the sauce.
- Can add a pinch of garam masala also.
- Instead of cream can add milk.
- Instead of tomato puri can add freshly grounded tomato puri( 1 to 2, tomatoes), add when chilli powder is added and cook for few minutes.
- Can add cauliflower or any vegetables you like.