Jhinga pulao (prawns pulao)
This Jhinga pulao is flavoured with garam masala and other simple ingredients. I got from one of my friend, which aim sharing with you. Pulao or pulao is easy to make than biryani, as biryani takes time for cooking and dum. Pulao is cooked in the flavoured broth itself (absorption method). I have added the ingredients according to my spice and taste. The people who like garam masala flavour may like this pulao. I have used chicken stock cube in this, you can use vegetable stock or chicken stock (liquid). I have used medium size prawns, which gets cooked soon. In this pulao or pulao, I have used lemon slice and tomato slices in the end when we are giving dum (simmering) for the rice. This prawn pulao goes well with cucumber raitha or onion and tomato raitha. Accidently my rice became soft, as I forget to switch off the flame. Be careful with the water measurement for the rice.
- Prawns – 500 gms
- Basmati Rice – 2 1/2 cups
- Water (for rice) - 1 1/2cup or as per requirement
- Pepper seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Black cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cloves – 4 to 5
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Ajwain – 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds – 1 tbsp
- Oil/ghee – 1/4 cup
- Bay leaves - 2
- Onion (big, sliced) – 2
- Ginger and garlic paste– 2 tbsp
- Green chillies (slit) – 4
- Curd (thick) – 1/2 cup
- Chicken or fish stock cube - 1
- Salt - as per taste
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Lemon (slices) – 2
- Tomato (slices) – 2
- Slice the onions and keep it ready.
- Slice the tomato and lemon into round slices, keep it aside.
- Roast all the spices, ground it to powder and keep it aside.
- Preheat the vessel with oil, when hot add sliced onions, bay leaf and cook till it is soft, transparent and lightly brown.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and chicken stock cube, mix well, and cook for 2min.
- Add curd, water 3/4th cup, quickly mix it on simmer flame, and then add roasted masala powder and green chillies, stir well.
- Cook till it forms a gravy (curry) consistency and oil starts leaving the gravy.
- Add prawns and rice, mix well, and then add the required amount of water (hot) to cook the rice, let it boil and cook till the liquid is absorbed.
- As soon as the liquid is absorbed in the rice, can see holes in the rice, during that time, simmer the flame.
- Now arrange tomato and lemon slices on the rice evenly, close the lid and cook till the rice is cooked well on simmer flame.
- It will take 15 to 20min, switch it off and let it rest for few minutes.
- Serve with any raitha and enjoy this prawn pulao.
- If adding chicken/fish/vegetable any stock cube, we add the water for rice, as per its requirement, if adding stock liquid, then little amount of water is required for the rice.
- If adding stock liquid add when the curd is added, so that it gets cooked well.
- The right proportion for the rice, liquid needed is, it, should be half of your 3rd finger.
- In this , rice is cooked in the gravy by absorption method.
- When adding water need to be careful, as prawns also leave some water while cooking and curd is also added.
- Can cook prawns separately with garlic (2 cloves, chopped), and mix it with the rice when layering the tomatoes and lemon slices.
- Can make chicken pulao, vegetable or paneer pulao with the same ingredients.