Grilled chicken in tandoori masala
Grill chicken in a Tandoori masala is now common every where, as it is one of the most popular foods in India and almost other countries. In uk, it is very famous and it is enjoyed by every one. Tandoori chicken is prepared in a traditional clay oven, which we see in the restaurants. Each restaurant has their own recipe and is different from region to region. Even I have tried tandoori chicken with many variations either in cooking method or in the spice. Grill Tandoori chicken is served as a starter.
Chicken is marinated and then cooked in the clay oven. I have cooked tandoori chicken either in the oven or grill at home. This time I have taken chicken legs, can take thigh pieces or other pieces and used ready made masala, as I have done in tandoori murg . In this the marinate and the mode of cooking is different from my previous tandoori murg which has the same ingredients but slightly differ in the marinate and the mode of cooking.
- Chicken legs – 4(medium size)
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Curd – 5 to 6 tbsp
- Tandoori masala (ready made) – 1 tbsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Make slits on the leg and keep it ready.
- Apply the first marinate on the chicken and refrigerate for 30min.
- Mix all the second marinate ingredients, it should be thick like custard consistency.
- Apply on chicken pieces all over and marinate it for 3hrs to 24hrs, overnight is good.
- When you take out from the fridge, you should not mix it, as it is set in the fridge, keep outside to come to room temperature, for 30 min, then start cooking.
- Apply salt carefully, as in the tandoori masala also contains salt.
- Cover the oven tray with aluminium foil and keep it ready.
- Place the grill rack on the oven tray.
- Place the marinated chicken pieces on the rack and keep it ready.
- Preheat the oven for 10min 220c, place the oven tray below the wrack, so that while cooking, the juice of marinate can drip on the tray and keep it in the upper part of oven.
- Cook the chicken 10min each side and 5min again on each side, till the chicken is almost cooked.
- At this stage, either you can continue to cook in the oven after applying butter or oil on both sides for 5 to 8min, till charred colour comes on it or it is cooked well.
- When the chicken is almost cooked on both sides, take it out from the oven and fry it on tava or grill pan, to give that char grill colour.
- Drizzle oil or butter, when it gets warm, place the chicken pieces on the grill pan and fry it till it gets that reddish and charred colour, then turn the other side and cook it.
- Drizzle some oil, so that it should not stick, do not over cook, as it is cooked already in an oven.
- Serve it with salad, as a starter, drizzle some lemon juice on it.
Cooking the chicken in the oven
Tava or grill pan fry
- Cook the chicken according to your oven temperature.
- When cooking in pan, the masala can split, all over, so can close the lid and cook it. Cook on medium flame, in between you can simmer it, while turning the chicken pieces.
- Check the marinade then apply on chicken, whether it is spicy or salt is there or not.
- You can add your own spices and marinade it. Add thick curd, you can increase or decrease the spices of your taste.
- If tandoori masala is not available, can use other marinate from my recipes, and follow the same cooking procedure.