Whole cauliflower cooked in a delicious sauce/gravy. A very good vegetarian dish for parties, dinners and for special days. Gobi musallam is a very presentable dish of north India. The gravy prepared for this dish is mostly Mughlai style rich and creamy. But I have prepared the gravy in different style with nuts and still creamy and delicious to go with cauliflower. I have served it with Peshawar naan and garlic naan, can serve with simple chapathis, phulkas or puris. While serving, cut the cauliflower into 4 or 5 chunks and serve, as it will be easy for the guests.
- Whole cauliflower – 500 to 600 gms
- Curd – 3 tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Cumin powder (roasted) – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder (roasted) – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Mace and nutmeg powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Green cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon stick powder – 1/8 tsp (optional)
- Tomato puri (thick, concentrated) – 2 tbsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Oil – 6 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon stick – 1 (1 inch)
- Onion – 2 (200gms)
- Ginger and garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Roasted coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Milk – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Tomato puree (thick concentrated) – 1 tbsp
- Cashew nut – 8 to 10
- Raisins (kish mish) – 2 tbsp
- In a pan bring to boil the water along with some salt. Place the cleaned cauliflowers in hot water for about 5minutes each side or total 10 minutes. Remove from water, keep it aside.
- Take a bowl, add all the marinade ingredients in it and mix together well. Apply the cauliflower on all sides evenly and try to put the marinate inside the florets also. Cover it with a cling flim and refrigerate for 2 to 3hrs or overnight.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed pan till hot, add cumin seeds, whole spices and onion, suate till soft and light brown, transparent.
- Add ginger and garlic paste, saute for 2 to 3min.
- Add all the dry spices saute for 1min, add quickly the liquid of marinate which is left after marinating for few hours or can add 1/3 cup or 50 ml water, mix quickly and saute for 1 min again.
- Now place the marinated cauliflower with its head (florets) down, simmer the flame and close the lid.
- Can add little water if needed.
- After 10min, open the lid and turn the cauliflower and cook again for 10min on lower flame by closing the lid, put some gravy onion mixture on top of the cauliflower.
- The cauliflower is almost cooked and the gravy has left oil on top.
- Add the tomato puree, milk, cashew nuts and raisins and sprinkle salt to taste. Mix well. Reduce the flame and add the milk slowly whilst stirring to get thick gravy. Stuff a little of this gravy gently in between the cauliflower florets and stems and on the top of cauliflower also while cooking.
- Add some water to the gravy to get a desired consistency, if needed.
- Boil for 3 mins when milk is added and then simmer again for 10min by closing the lid.
- The gravy has become thick, creamy and has left oil on top.
- Place the cauliflower first on a serving plate and pour the gravy on the cauliflower.
- Garnish with fresh cream (optional) and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- In between of the cooking stir the gravy and turn the cauliflower up and down, so that it is evenly cooked and pour some gravy on it, so that it absorbs the gravy.
- To make this dish richer, a desired amount of fresh cream could be added instead of milk.
- Can add kasoori methi (Dry fenugreek leaves) at the end stage and simmer for 5min.
- My tomato puri is double concentrated , ready made bought from the store, can add tomato paste or tomato puri which ever is available in your store. If it is not concentrated add more for the gravy, as per your taste.
- For mace and nutmeg powder: I took 1 whole nutmeg and 10 to 12 mace and 10 green cardamom, grind them in a spice mixer to powder and store it in an air tight container. Or add as per your taste or 1/8 tsp of nutmeg powder and 1/8 tsp of mace. Do not add more as it can make bitter or over powering.
- I have made thick gravy, which is well coated with cauliflower, if more gravy is needed then add more ingredients and make gravy as per your taste.