Cauliflower 65/Gobi 65 is a very popular snack or starter in south India as a vegetarian version. You can use the marinate of chicken 65, for cauliflower65, refer recipe. I tasted this first in Coimbatore where it is very popular as a street food. The cauliflowers are well coated in reddish sauce (marinate) and when it is fried, it gives a very good and crispy colour which attracts every one. In Coimbatore, you can see these stalls near the parks, it was about 8yrs back, and I have no idea whether these stalls are there or not. But I used to enjoy those whenever I order them. You can serve cauliflower 65, as starter or snack.
- Cauliflower – 350 gms
- Curd (thick) – 3 tbsp
- Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tbsp
- Corn flour – 4 tbsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Water – as per requirement (little)
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets and keep it in warm water for some time to clean.
- Add all the ingredients, mix well, now add the cauliflower florets and mix well and marinate for 2hrs in the fridge or 1/2hr and cook at its room temperature.
- Heat the sufficient oil, when hot, add one piece of cauliflower, it will sizzle immediately; the oil should not be very hot.
- Add the cauliflower florets one by one and cook it in batches on medium heat, until it is cooked well.
- In between turn the cauliflower florets, so that it is evenly fried and cooked well.
- You can fry some curry leaves and sprinkle on it.
- Serve cauliflower 65 with onion rings and lemon wedges.
- In the marinade you can add 1/2 tsp ginger and garlic paste and saunf (Aniseed) 1/2tsp crushed, biryani colour (red), curry leaves, garam masala a pinch.
- With the same marinate, you can make mushroom 65, baby potatoes 65, baby corn 65 and other vegetables.