Aam ka panna
Aam ka panna is an Indian summer cooler and refreshing drink during summer. Aam ka panna is made from raw green mangoes, which are boiled and made with its pulp. Some like sweet, spicy and some add mint chutney. Aam ka panna, helps you in preventing heat stroke and keep the body cool. With this same Aam ka panna, I just used for the pani puri also, as another variety of sour and spicy water mixture for Pani Ke Patashe or Puchka or Paani Poori or golgapppas. I have added sugar and spices as per my taste; you can adjust as per your taste.
- Mangoes – 400 gms
- Water – 8 cups
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder (roasted) – 3 tsp
- Black salt – 1 tsp
- Pepper powder (freshly ground, coarse) – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Mint leaves – 30
- Green chillies – 1
- Ginger – 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Roast cumin seeds on a pan on simmer flame until aroma and its colour is lightly changed.
- Put all the ingredients in a mixer and grind to a fine paste by adding little water. Keep it aside.
- Pressures cook the mangoes with 3cups of water for 2 to 3 whistles or till they turn very soft.
- Once the mangoes have cooled down peel off the skin and squeeze out the entire pulp in a bowl.
- Put the pulp in a blender and make a fine paste or puree, transfer to a big bowl. Add in the 3cups water in the pulp and add sugar. Stir till the sugar is dissolved.
- Once the sugar is dissolved add in other ingredients and mix well.
- Strain the aam ka panna and allow cool to room temperature.
- I added remaining water to make the aam ka panna as per my consistency.
- If you see the colour of the aam ka panna it will be light yellow colour.
- You can serve in the glass and add the above ingredients, as per your taste, like sugar or any spices.
- In one glass, I took 1/2cup aam ka panna, added 1/2cup water, black salt, cumin powder (roasted) a pinch , lemon juice 1tsp, hing, a black pepper and mint leaves. Mix well and enjoy with some ice cubes. You can add few mint leaves.
- In another glass, I took aam ka panna, added some water, added 2tsp of mint chutney, tasted and then added spices like a pinch of pepper powder, black salt and roasted cumin powder.
- Once cooled keep in the refrigerator and serve chilled with ice.
Preparing aam ka panna
- Instead of boiling the mangoes, roast it in oven or fire. The best one is placing on the gas burner and roasting until its skin is dark charred. Peel the skin and remove the pulp, blend in a mixer for the puri and then add the spices and other ingredients, serve as above.
- Some boil after adding the sugar, spices (except lemon juice) and water until sugar is dissolved for 3 to 4min and the switch off to cool.
- Add water as per the consistency you like.
- Always taste and then adjust sugar and other spices.