Vegetable fried rice (Indo Chinese style)
Vegetable fried rice is a popular Chinese food. Vegetable fried rice is a mixture of vegetables and rice, cooked with Chinese sauce and served hot. But I have cooked it in an Indo–Chinese style. Whenever we order Chinese food, fried rice is a must, for cauliflower Manchurian or chicken Manchurian etc. Vegetable fried rice is easy, quick, and healthy and everyone’s favourite. Vegetable fried rice best made with left over rice in fridge. It is a quick brunch for lazy days or for tiffin box to carry outside or for dinner or when there is a short of time. It will take no time to prepare vegetable fried rice, just in (preparation) cutting it takes time all the vegetables in same size, but in cooking less than 10minutes. You can use vegetables like carrot, cabbage, capsicum (any colour), beans, beans sprout, cauliflower and peas if you like. There are so many variations in vegetable fried rice; you can cook according to your taste. Chinese food is cooked in a wok and at a very high flame but I have just taken bigger kadai and cooked at medium and reduce the flame according to my convenience.
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Basmati rice (raw) - 1 cup
- Dark soya sauce – 2 tsp
- Green chilli sauce – 1 tsp
- Chinese salt or MSG or ajinomoto – 1/2 tsp or little less
- Black pepper powder (freshly and coarsely ground) – 3/4 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Spring onion – 1/3 cup
- Ginger (optional) – 1 tsp
- Garlic (optional) – 1 clove or 1 tsp
- Carrots – 1/3 cup
- Capsicum (any colour) – 1/3 cup
- Beans – 1/3 cup
- Cabbage – 1/2 cup or more
- Spring onions (again) – 1/3 cup
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces and spring onion both white and green part.
- Now take a wider kadai or wok, add 3 to 4 tbsp oil, when it gets warm add ginger and garlic stir for 5 second, then add beans and carrot, sauté for 2min.
- Add cabbage, capsicum (any colour), ajinomotto, a pinch of salt(optional), 1/3rd cup of spring onion(both white and green part), stir well for 2 min, till the vegetables are cooked but still crisp and firm on high flame.
- Simmer the flame and add rice, green chilli sauce and soya sauce, mix well until it is combined well. You can keep the flame high or medium Add again 1/3rd cup spring onion (green part), mix well. Make sure, the rice is not mashed or broken much.
- When the rice is properly mixed with other ingredients, after 2min switch it off. I sometimes simmer the flame and cook for 5min, so that all the ingredients are blended well.
- Serve vegetable fried rice with chilli paneer or cauliflower Manchurian or any side dish you like.
- You can adjust the quantity of black pepper as per your taste buds. Sometimes I add chilli flakes in the end and sauté for 2min, to give spicy touch.
- As the rice is already cooked with salt, there is no need to add salt.
- Rice should be firm, not soggy. That is why most people use refrigerated rice for fried rice.
- Add the vegetables first which take time to cook like beans and carrot, and then add other like capsicum (bell pepper).
- For variation you can use Chinese sesame oil (roasted) for more flavour, vegetable stock powder or cube, add while sautéing vegetables, which will give different taste to the vegetable fried rice.
- You can use other vegetables of your choice. For example, I have used cauliflower, bean sprouts and red chillies as in the picture.