Szechuan vegetable fried rice
Schezwan vegetable fried rice prepared from my home made schezwan sauce. Schezwan vegetable fried rice, I have prepared it Indo-chinese way and as per my taste. In chinese cooking for schezwan recipes, schezwan peppercorn are used which look like black peppercorns but its colour is dark in pink. But in indo chinese preparations, it is prepared differently. As in indo Chinese, schezwan sauce is prepared which is spicy, hot, tangy and sweet, but every one prepares it differently. In schezwan cooking, sesame oil and chilli oil is also used. I have prepared, schezwan vegetable fried rice by using these ingredients. You can use vegetables like carrot, cabbage, capsicum (any colour), beans, beans sprout, cauliflower and peas if you like. There are so many variations in vegetable fried rice; you can cook according to your taste. Chinese food is cooked in a wok and at a very high flame but I have just taken bigger kadai and cooked at medium and reduce the flame according to my convenience.
Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Cuisine: Indo-Chinese, Szechuan
- Chicken – 200 gms
- Egg white – 1
- Corn flour – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Pepper powder – a pinch
- Dark soya sauce – 1 tsp
- Garlic cloves (chopped) – 1
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Dry chilli (sliced or chopped) – 1
- Garlic cloves (chopped) – 2 to 3
- Ginger (chopped) – 1 1/2 tsp
- Green chilli (chopped) – 1
- Spring onion – 3
- Onion – 1 tbsp
- MSG or ajinomoto – 1/4 tsp or little more
- Szechuan sauce (home made) – 2 to 2 1/2 tbsp
- Chilli garlic sauce (Maggi brand) – 21/2tbsp
- Dark soya sauce – 1 1/2 tbsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Rice vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Water – 1 1/3 cup
- Onion (chunks) – quarter
- Green chilli (sliced) – 2
- Red capsicum (chunks) – quarter
- Green capsicum (chunks) – quarter
- Cornstarch – (cornflour 2 tsp + water 1/2 cup)
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces and spring onion both white and green part.
- Cook the rice in advance and allow it to cool (it should be firm) or use the refrigerated rice.
- Now take a wider kadai or wok, add 2tbsp oil, when it gets warm add dry chilli, ginger , garlic, spring onion (white part) stir for few seconds.
- Add beans and carrot, sauté for 1min, then add cabbage, capsicum (any colour), ajinomotto, a pinch of salt (optional), stir well for 1 min.
- Add schezwan sauce, sauté for 1minute, till the vegetables are cooked but still crisp and firm on high flame.
- Simmer the flame and add rice, rice vinegar, soya sauce, pepper powder, sesame oil, chilli oil, mix well until all the ingredients are combined well with the rice.
- You can keep the flame high now; add the remaining spring onion (green part) mix well.
- Make sure, the rice is not mashed or when the rice is properly mixed with other ingredients, after 3 to 4min on high flame, keep stirring, switch it off.
- I sometimes simmer the flame and cook for 5min, so that all the ingredients are blended well, but see to that moisture is not left, keep stirring in between without breaking the rice.
- Serve schezwan rice with schezwan chicken or any side dish you like.
- You can adjust the quantity of black pepper as per your taste buds. Sometimes I add chilli flakes in the end and sauté for 2min, to give spicy touch.
- As the rice is already cooked with salt, there is no need to add salt.
- Rice should be firm, not soggy. That is why most people use refrigerated rice for fried rice.
- Add the vegetables first which take time to cook like beans and carrot, and then add other like capsicum (bell pepper).
- For variation you can add red chilli sauce (maggi brand) , vegetable stock powder or cube, add while sautéing vegetables, which will give different taste to the vegetable fried rice.
- You can use other vegetables of your choice like cauliflower, bean sprouts and red chillies, baby corn etc.