Papdi chaat the name itself make us mouth water. A very popular Indian street chaat food. You can prepare papdi chaat with boiled potato, boiled chana (chickpea), yoghurt, sev and other ingredients. To make any chaat, you need to have few basic ingredients ready like for crispiness, papdi which is thin , flat and round shape like puri (can be bought from the shop), for sweetness which is tamarind and date chutney, for spiciness which is green chutney and other ingredients depending which chaat you are preparing. If you prepare these in advance and keep it ready, you can prepare your chaat in minutes just assembling the ingredients, the way you like. The moment you put the papdi chaat in your mouth it will burst with different flavours and tastes, which you enjoy the most.
I am preparing aloo papdi chaat, you can call as sev papdi chaat, as the same ingredients go in, just yoghurt I have not added. Aloo papdi chaat which is very easy and quick to prepare when you crave for chaat. Refer my dahi papdi chaat, dahi batata puri and dahi sev puri chaat recipes.
Preparation time: 1 hour (including preparing chutney)
Cooking time: 45 mins (for chutneys)
Cuisine: North Indian chaat, snack or street food
Serves: 4 to 5
Spiciness: Medium, sweet and tangy as well
- Papdi or crispy puri – 20 or as required
- Boiled potato (medium) – 2
- Chilli powder – a pinch or 1/4 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – a pinch or 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala - a pinch
- Salt - as per taste
- Black salt (optional) - a pinch
- Green chutney - 1/2 cup
- Sweet tamarind chutney – 1/2 cup
- Roasted cumin powder - 2 tsp
- Chaat masala – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Onion (chopped) – 1
- Cucumber (chopped) – 1
- Tomato (chopped) – 1
- Fresh coriander leaves (chopped) - 1/2 cup
- Sev - 1 cup
- Cut the tomatoes, remove the pulp and chop finely.
- Cut the cucumber, scoop the inside flesh with seeds and chop finely.
- Mash the potatoes, add spices, mix well and keep it ready.
- Place some or 1tsp of mash potatoes on each papdi. Over that put some chopped onion, tomatoes and cucumber as per your requirement.
- Sprinkle some roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, a little red chilli powder and salt.
- Drizzle a little green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle again cumin powder, chaat masala, a little red chilli powder and salt.
- In the end top with sev and coriander leaves and if needed drizzle again with sweet chutney and lime juice (optional).
- Serve immediately.
- Instead of mixing the spices in mashed potato, you can just top the plain boiled potato on papdi and then sprinkle the spices on top of the potato.
- Roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, lemon juice (optional), chilli powder, sprinkle of little on papdi makes the papdi chaat more scrumptious and delicious.
- You can serve as a separate on each papdi or just plate it in a bowl or small plate on top of the papdi as shown in the picture.