Mango mastani is a popular and refreshing drink for hot summers that originated in Pune. Mastani is a dessert drink made with thick milkshake and ice cream, available in a variety of flavours like vanilla, sitaphal (sugar-apple), chocolate, dry fruits, kesar (saffron), etc. Although mango mastani is available anywhere in Pune, to taste different varieties of mastani, one can visit Sujata mastani in Pune. When you order any mastani drink, it will come topped with ice cream and nuts.
This drink is named after the queen Mastani who was the beautiful lover and second wife of Peshwa Bajirao, a legendary Peshwa ruler. There is also a Bollywood movie named Bajirao mastani based on their love story.
Mango mastani is very easy to prepare at home either with vanilla ice cream or mango ice cream, once you have all the ingredients handy.
Preparation time: 15 mins (excludes time for soaking almonds)
Cooking time: 20 mins
Serves: 2 to 3
- Ripe mangoes – 1 (big size) or 400 gms
- Milk – 2 cups
- Vanilla ice cream – 2 scoops
- Chopped ripe mango – 4 tbsp
- Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Mango puree – 2 tbsp (optional)
- Chopped almonds (badam) – 2 tbsp
- Chopped pistachios (pista) - 2 tbsp
- Chopped cashews (kaju) – 2 tbsp
- Tutti frutti – 2 tbsp
- Mango pieces – 2 tbsp
- I have used one Banganapalle mango. Instead you can use two Alphonso mangoes as well.
- Soak 5 to 8 almonds in hot water for about 30 mins to make the peeling of skin easier. Peel the skin of the almonds and keep them aside.
- Chop or slice the almonds, pista and cashews for garnishing. Keep them aside.
- Peel the mango, chop and keep aside in a bowl. Reserve a few for putting inside the glass and few for garnishing the mastani later.
- Put the remaining mango pieces in a mixer or blender.
- Blend until it is a smooth puree.
- Save a couple of tablespoons of the mango puree in a separate bowl for decorating inside the glass later on. If the puree is thick, add a little milk and bring it to a pouring consistency. The puree has to be dark.
- Add milk and sugar as per taste to the blender and blend to a smooth thick milkshake.
- Tilt the serving glass at 45 degrees angle and start pouring the saved mango puree inside the glass.
- Optionally, turn the glass as you pour the puree to swirl all around the glass. It is just for decorating the glass or for a design inside the glass.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of mango pieces in each glass.
- Pour the thick mango milkshake into the glasses, leaving enough space for topping with ice cream and garnishing.
- Place one scoop of vanilla ice cream in each glass on top of the milkshake.
- Place a few mango pieces on top of the ice cream.
- Sprinkle or garnish with tutti frutti, almonds, cashews and pista.
- Serve the Mango Mastani immediately with a spoon and a straw to enjoy.
- The mango I used were very ripe and sweet. So, I required only one. You can add more than one mango depending on the taste of the mango.
- You can also use mango ice cream instead of vanilla ice cream.
- I forgot to garnish with fresh cherry in picture, but you can garnish with a glazed cherry to complete the look, although entirely optional.
- You can garnish with nuts, tutti frutti and mango pieces in any order as per your choice.