Egg fried rice (Indian street food style)
Egg fried rice is a popular Indo Chinese food. Egg fried rice with addition of vegetables makes this dish more nutritious and healthy. There are so many variations in fried rice; each fried rice has a unique flavour and taste. You can use any vegetables like carrot, cabbage, capsicum (any colour), beans, beans sprout and peas if you like. In this you can add cooked chicken, prawns and eggs also, vegetarians can use only vegetables. Chinese food is cooked in a wok and at a very high flame but I have just taken bigger kadai and cooked at high, medium and reduce the flame according to my convenience. I have prepared egg and vegetable fried rice with many variations like oyster sauce, sesame oil, and vegetable stock cube but this time I have used green chilli sauce, which gives different taste and also restaurant style taste.
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Basmati rice (raw) - 1 cup
- Dark soya sauce – 2 tsp
- Green chilli sauce – 1 tsp
- Chinese salt or MSG or ajinomoto – 1/2 tsp or little less
- Black pepper powder (freshly ground and coarse) – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as required
- Spring onion – 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Eggs – 3
- Salt - as per taste
- Toasted sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper (coarse) – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger (optional) – 1 tsp
- Garlic (optional) – 1 clove or 1 tsp
- Green chillies (sliced) – 2
- Carrots – 1/3 cup
- Capsicum (any colour) – 1/4 cup
- Beans – 1/4 cup
- Cabbage – 3/4 cup
- Spring onions – 1/2 cup or handful (again)
For egg mixture
- Wash the rice and soak for 15min.
- Cook basmati rice with 11/2 cup boiling water with salt in absorption method. Once cooked, allow it to cool, spread in a plate and keep it open or keep it in fridge for 2hrs or use remaining cold rice.
- First put all eggs in a bowl add little salt and pepper powder (freshly grounded coarse powder), sesame oil, beat it with a fork for few seconds and keep it aside.
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces and spring onion both white and green part.
- Now take a wider kadai or wok, add 3tbsp oil, when it gets warm add ginger and garlic stir for 5 second, then add beans, green chilli and carrot, sauté for 2min.
- Add cabbage, capsicum (any colour), ajinomotto, a pinch of salt(optional), 1/3rd cup of spring onion(both white and green part) , stir well for 2 min, high flame.
- Simmer the flame, corner the vegetables in a kadai one side and add 2tsp oil in the centre of the kadai and add egg mixture, do not stir for 10seconds, add 1tsp oil on the corner sides of egg mixture so that it won’t stick to the kadai.
- Stir the egg mixture in clock wise direction slowly so that it is formed as a scrambled egg but should be soft texture. Reduce the flame at this stage, when cooking the egg.
- Stir the vegetables also in the corner itself as it can burn.
- When the egg is forming scramble form, mix it with the vegetables and stir well.
- Now add rice and mix well with the vegetables and eggs mixture.
- Simmer the flame and add rice, green chilli sauce and soya sauce, mix well until it is combined well. You can keep the flame high or medium.
- Add again 1/3rd cup spring onion (green part), freshly grounded black pepper coarse powder, mix well. Make sure, the rice is not mashed or broken much.
- When the rice is properly mixed with other ingredients, after 2min switch it off. I sometimes simmer the flame and cook for 5min, just stirring once or twice in-between, so that all the ingredients are blended well.
- Serve vegetable fried rice with chilli paneer or cauliflower Manchurian or any side dish you like.
- You can adjust the quantity of black pepper as per your taste buds. Sometimes I add chilli flakes in the end and sauté for 2min, to give spicy touch.
- As the rice is already cooked with salt, there is no need to add salt.
- Rice should be firm, not soggy. That is why most people use refrigerated rice for fried rice.
- Add the vegetables first which take time to cook like beans and carrot, and then add other like capsicum (bell pepper).
- For variation you can use Chinese sesame oil (roasted) for more flavour, vegetable stock powder or cube, add while sautéing vegetables, which will give different taste to the vegetable fried rice.
- Taste the rice and check whether you need more soya sauce or any seasoning in it, so that you can add if anything is required.
- After adding eggs, stir continuously so that the eggs do not stick or burn.
- You can adjust the quantity of back pepper as per your taste buds.
- As the rice is already cooked with salt, there is no need to add salt. In addition, the egg also has salt.