Dahi papdi chaat
Dahi papdi chaat one more very popular chaat in India and is loved by all from kids to elders. Dahi papdi chaat made from Crispy puris covered with yoghurt, topped with spices and sweet and tangy chutney with other ingredients which gives us different flavour and taste from crunchy bite of papdis to softness of the yoghurt and from tangy and sweetness from the chutneys and spiciness from the spices.
Preparing dahi papdi chaat is very easy just assembling the ingredients on each papdi, as per your liking, which you have prepared earlier. The ingredients which we have to prepare earlier are green chutney, tamarind and dates chutney, yoghurt, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes, sev, some spices and other more ingredients like shop bought papdi crispy puris or home made.
Dahi papdi chaat you can have in the evening as a snack with friends and families. If you top with with sev (fried noodles made from gram flour or besan), it is known as sev papdi chaat.
Preparation time: 15 mins (excluding preparing chutneys)
Cooking time: None, just assembling the ingredients
Cuisine: North Indian chaat, snack or street food
Serves: 2 to 3
Spiciness: Medium, sweet and tangy as well
- Papdi or crispy puri – 20 or as required
- Boiled potatoes (medium) – 2
- Chilli powder – a pinch or 1/4 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – a pinch or 1/4 tsp
- Chaat masala - a pinch
- Black salt - a pinch
- Salt (optional) - as per taste
- Yogurt whisked - 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Chaat masala – a pinch
- Roasted cumin powder – a pinch
- Chilli powder – a pinch
- Black salt – a pinch
- Salt - as per taste
- Green chutney - 1/2 cup
- Sweet tamarind chutney – 1/2 cup
- Roasted cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Chaat masala – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
- Fresh coriander leaves (chopped) - 1/2 cup
- Onion (chopped) – 1
- Tomato (chopped) – 1
- Cucumber (chopped) – 1
- Sev - as required
- Pomegranate (anar) peeled - 1
For potato mixture
For yoghurt mixture
- Cut the tomatoes, remove the pulp and chop finely.
- Cut the cucumber, scoop the inside flesh with seeds and chop finely.
- Mash the potatoes, add the spices, mix well and keep it ready.
- Add spices, salt and sugar to yogurt and whisk till smooth. Keep it in the refrigerator or can use immediately.
- Take a serving plate and place 4 to 5 papdis on each plate, depending on the size of each papdi.
- Place some mash potatoes on each papdi. Over that put some chopped onion, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Drizzle a little green chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle cumin powder, chaat masala, a little red chilli powder and salt. Top it all up with chilled sweetened yogurt.
- Drizzle some more of the sweet tamarind chutney and green chutney.
- Sprinkle some spices again, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, chilli powder and pomegranate or
- In the end top with sev (optional), coriander leaves, and pomegranate pearls.
- You can assemble the ingredients the order you like.
- Serve immediately.
- Instead of mixing the spices in mashed potato and also yoghurt, you can just top the plain boiled potato on papdi and then sprinkle the spices on top of the potato and the same with the yoghurt.
- It is as per your taste, you can prepare dahi papdi chaat and as per your preference assembling the ingredient’s.
- Roasted cumin powder, chaat masala, lemon juice (optional), chilli powder, sprinkling of little each makes the papdi chaat more scrumptious and delicious.
- You can serve dahi papdi chaat as separate pouring yoghurt on each papdi or cover the full bowl or plate with yoghurt on top of the papdi as shown in the picture.