Chennai style chicken 65
Chicken 65 is a very popular appetizer served in restaurants and made at home as well. Everyone has their own recipe as per their taste. In Chennai style chicken 65, chicken is deep fried and garnished with onions and curry leaves whereas for Hyderabad style it is deep fried and again cooked in yoghurt spiced mixture. This recipe is the Chennai style chicken 65.
Preparation time: 10 mins (excluding time to marinate)
Cooking time: 30 mins
Cuisine: Tamil Nadu
Serves: 2 to 3
- Chicken thigh (boneless) – 300 gms
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Fennel powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ajinomoto (optional) – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger and garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red colour (optional) - a pinch
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Egg – 1
- Corn flour – 2 tbsp or more
- Salt - as per taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Onion (small) -1
- Garlic clove (big, optional) – 1
- Green chillies – 3
- Curry leaves – 30
Tempering / Garnishing
- Cut the chicken thigh into small nugget size or bite size pieces. Keep aside.
- Slice the green chillies, onions into chunks, chop coriander leaves and garlic finely. Keep them ready.
- Add all the marinade dry ingredients first and mix well. Add all the remaining ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces into the marinade. Mix well and refrigerate for 4 hrs to overnight.
- Take the chicken pieces out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before cooking. Do not mix the chicken pieces again.
- Heat oil. When the oil is hot, add chicken pieces and cook in batches on medium heat. Cook the chicken until it is golden in colour. It will take about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the chicken pieces on some absorbent paper to soak up the excess oil. Keep aside.
- At this stage either you can serve the chicken 65 with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over, in addition to garnishing with a few curry leaves fried in the same oil.
- Heat oil in a pan and when hot add onions, curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for about 2 to 3 minutes on a medium flame.
- Optionally, add garlic and saute until the garlic is golden in colour. Avoid the garlic from getting burnt.
- Add salt as per taste and mix well. Switch off.
- Garnish the chicken 65 with sauted onions, few coriander leaves and a wedge of lemon to squeeze.
- Serve as a starter or with plain rice and dal/rasam.
or the following can be done
- Garlic can be avoided while sauteing onions.
- You can add some vinegar to the marinade, if you wish.
- You can use plain flour instead of cornflour.